to do or not to do ???

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by lightsabre, Apr 16, 2009.

1. lightsabre

lightsabre New Member

Hi all just joined this forum so here goes...

I am trying to start a career in I.T (not another one) yes I know its a bad time to start since all tge recession going on:x!!

But having very very very basic knowledge in I.T I have spokrn to many training companies that promise you the world,job guarantee blah blah blah!!!

I have thought of going with Joskos since they seem genuinely want to help.

any pointers would be appreciated!!!

If their is a will their is a way!!!!

2. dazzlerby

dazzlerby New Member

Hello, i nearly signed up with advent a few weeks ago to do an MCSE course from scratch starting from A+ but they wanted 5 grand for it so i looked up how much it would be to buy the books & pay for the exams myself and it is well under a grand. It's up 2 u mate cos they do offer support and stuff but so do forums like this one. I'm currently self studying for the A+ at the min and can't imagine it being any easier having a tutor, u just got to take stuff in.

Certifications: no I.T., city & guilds inP.A.T testing
    WIP: mcse
  3. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Most people on here, myself included, will recommend you try your hand at self-study instead of the training providers. For a very small fraction of what it can cost with a training provider you will be able to get the same education with just a little will power and determination. Since you are just starting out you need to be looking at doing the CompTIA A+, Network+ and Microsoft's MCDST certifications in that order. To complete your A+ certification you need to pass two exams, 220-601 A+ Essentials and either 220-602/603/604. The elective exam doesn't really matter which one you chose, most go with 602 since it is pretty comprehensive and their seems to be a lot more free GOOD study material floating around for it. Steer yourself clear of Brain Dumps, these will get your certification taken away and ban you from any certifications in the future. You can check to see which sites on the Internet are good by using certguard.com. I recommend getting yourself a copy of Mike Meyers All In One for the A+ and/or The Sybex book for A+ along with listening to the Mr. Ford's Class series of Podcasts found on iTunes. You can get yourself some practice exams for A+ and Network+ at proprofs.com and really good training videos for free at professormesser.com. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Is your return key broken? :twisted:

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Nope...

My Enter key is :hahaha

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Any more of that cheek and I'll have my good mate Kim Jong-il drop a failed satellite launch right on your ass.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Have a search for them using the search feature on the forum. There has been plenty of posts about joskos none of them good if I remember correctly. No one can gaurantee you a job that is a fact unless you are going to be working for them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

My advice to anyone thinking about starting out would be to try to self-study first. The A+ is not complex enough to require tutoring, in my opinion, so save yourself a sackful of cash and give it a go.
    The ability to self-study is invaluable in the ever-changing world of IT and you'll gain some transferable skills that will stand you in good stead as you progress.

9. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

welcome to the forum :D

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  14. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to the forum, you've already had some good advice ;)
    Start slow and work your way up and you can't go wrong.