To Cerco or not to Cerco that is the question!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Bingo Not Ringo, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Bingo Not Ringo

Bingo Not Ringo New Member

To Cerco or not to Cerco that is the question!
    I have been working a long side these guys a few times over the years, but can’t make my mind up if it's a good thing or bad thing!
    We all have to start somewhere, does it matter how we start?
    You are probably wondering what I'm actually going on about, so I will explain......
    If you were a company owner and needed someone to train your staff in the use of a new operating system for example would you:
    Employ someone who has never worked in the Industry before and has had at the most one week’s basic I.T training(but sometimes none at all) would you let them touch your systems?
    Some guys are well qualified on paper but have no experience, and work well under instruction, but some are worrying.
    I have been asked how to log onto a domain, how to add a network printer. How to do ipconfig.... the list goes on.
    I wonder whether these guys are actually damaging our industry as you are judged by the last I.T man that visited.
    Cerco seem to pay between £60 -£65 a day
    They pay fuel after 30 miles and refund parking. They do your TAX and you are employed by them. Cerco may a good profit out of the day rate.
    Training is free when given but you pay your own accom in Crewe. You have to be CRB checked which you have to pay for yourself.
    You will get irregular work; speaking to the guys you may get a day week or five, or nothing for months.

So I suppose the above could be good for a novice, but does our industry need this cheap labour, low quality work. I’m ashamed to say I would not like my name associated with Cerco, I have worked and trained hard to get were i am today (plus a lot of luck)

X factor springs to mind but not the winners, the funny ones that don’t get through round one :eek:

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There is no one way into the IT field, practically everyone has his/her own different story.

ok

Now what are you talking about, the person doing the training or the tech that they provide?

That's true, however it's not fair to just single out one or two training companies based on a small percentage of people that one has worked with. I've met and interviewed MCSE's who have worked in IT, self-studied and gained the MCSE who could not demostrate how to add a proxy in IE or add a static IP to a network card.

It is true that IT techs are compared to the last tech (and some do fall/fail), however who fault is that?

The IT industry isn't regulated, you don't have to have X level of education, you don't have to have X amount of certifications, now a days there are people in the IT field/wanting to get in the IT field that don't even have to have common sense and if you mess up, you can't be struck of (like docters, nurses, teachers, etc).

I'm not saying that regulation is the answer, but the preception of people in the IT field is so wide and vague that it doesn't do the IT field any justice.

Well the low quality work is down to the individual, not the level of the job. As for "cheap" labour, that is a fuzzy term... What is cheap to one may not be cheap to another... Look at other industries:

Teaching: You have qualified teachers and unqualified teachers (eg Classroom supervisors and Teaching Assistants)
    Nursing: You have the qualified nursing staff and Care Assistants
    Law: Qualified solicitors and paralegals

And the list goes on...

It falls apart when organisations start using the unqualified and inexperienced techs to do the more complex job roles, without the proper training, guidance and support.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security