to be or not to be......

Discussion in 'A+' started by rwilmot, Jul 8, 2006.

1. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

Well guys, i'm in a bit of a pickle. You see, I'm studying the A+, N+, CCNA and CCNP with skillstrain and i was planning on taking the A+ test once i had completed the A+ section, which by the way, will probably be sometime next month. The problem i'm having is, i'm not getting enough hands on experience and time to read my MM book :cry: :( I really do not know how to overcome this! So, what I might have to do is put off doing the A+ tests until next year or something stupid. I feel like such a let down. Has anyone got any comments or ideas as to how i can maybe solve this and become A+ certified? If not then i'll probably just move straight onto the N+.

i'm not a happy chappy at the moment...

Certifications: Village Idiot Award
    WIP: working towards everything..
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

rwilmot,

Just like a whole computer has components, so does the A+ certification. Do you have the official blueprint for the two A+ exams? Head over to http://www.comptia.org if you don't.

Similarly, forget about the N+ and beyond subjects for now. Just concentrate on the A+. I myself can easily "self-overwhelm" myself by thinking too far into the future instead of dealing with the current situation, in your case, is the A+ phase.

Does skillstrain have instructors? If so, are they available after class? Are there any open lab times available, preferably with instructors? If you need more hands-on time, then you gotta get that extra hands-on time any way you can. Traditionally, A+ is usually accomplished through self-study and the goal of building a PC from scratch. So if skillstrain won't give you the additional hands-on time, then buy your own computer components and get your own hands-on experience that way.

Also, you can post your specific questions right here for some "extended network" help. Most of us are A+ certified, so we should be able to help you too.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

You not in a sticky situation. I assume the only reason you doing all this is because you love computers and would like to do a job change right? You signed up with a training provider - who btw has set you a time limit to complete this course just in case you didnt know! If you really want this to happen there is not *other* way its either you study hard and do what you have to do i.e. make time to study or you re-think is this what you really want? If you struggling to get the A+ over and done with then how long will it take to pass the CCNA nevermind the CCNP? :blink

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

If you need experience then just buy an old pc and mess with it. Nothing better than hands on.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  5. hoss

hoss Bit Poster

i am also doing my A+ with skillstrain and am at the same point in the course as you,i have an old pc to practice on,if you can travel to gt yarmouth you are welcome to use mine and we can test each other/. :D

Certifications: c & g in refrigeration
    WIP: A+,N+,CCNN
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

eBay is your friend - you can pick up old systems for around £30 BIN. Alternatively, check out car boots - don't be ashamed - you can get great bargains hanging around. As long as it hasn't been raining that morning...

Skillstrain also offer a practical session. Once you have finished Section 4 and completed your mock, you can book up to the practical sessions (which your, ahem, salesperson should have told you about).

Contact the admin team at Skillstrain HO/check out Studentworld for more info.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. hoss

hoss Bit Poster

thanks arroyn i didnt know that either :D

Certifications: c & g in refrigeration
    WIP: A+,N+,CCNN
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree with the sentiment quoted from Zimbo.

You really need to get stuck in and start allocating sufficient time to study. The A+ is a breeze in comparison to where you are going. Now is the time to develop a proper study work ethic otherwise you will kiss goodbye your investment. There is a mountain of work ahead of you and at the moment you are only just approaching the foothills.

IT is not an easy profession to get into. It takes dedication and commitment from you!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

for the OS part to get hands on have u thought of using vmware, comes in handy when u have to familiarize yrself with different operating systems, in fact u'll only need 1 computer to practice all of them...thats what i did with my OS preparation. if u r being trained at a provider i suppose u probably would already have had hands on with the hardware bit...

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3