To Be or not to Be: Mike's Passaport or Exam Guide? Pearson Vue or Prometic

Discussion in 'A+' started by Gotrekk, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Gotrekk

Gotrekk Bit Poster

Hello again there, i'm actually studying towards the a+ cert using the Mike Meyers' A+ Certification Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (All-in-One Series). But I noticed around the Mike Meyers' Passport to A+ Certification, Third Edition. Can anyone explain me the differences between them ?

And another question come to my mind... What's the difference between Pearson Vue and Pometric? They should be the only companies where to attend exams, but is one better than the other one, or anything different?

Thanks in advance :)
    Antonio

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia N+
    WIP: MCSA, MCSE
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The exam guide is the fully detailed book with all the information you should need to pass the exam. The passport is a summary guide that you should use at the last stages of studying, right before you take the exam to help cement the "high points" in your memory.

The two test centers you mention are the two vendors who give the exam. Some test takers swear by one or the other but how user-friendly they are depends on the individual office. Just pick one and give it a shot.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Gotrekk

Gotrekk Bit Poster

perfect, thanks you for the fast and extremely exhaustive reply!
    I've almost finished the exam guide, I'll have a look at the passport later on then.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not sure of the differences other than the Passport book doesn't seem to contain as much info. I always recommend the A+ All-in-One 6th Edition.

Vue and Prometric are pretty similar here in the US. In fact, many of our testing centers are both Vue and Prometric centers, the only difference being the terminal you sit down at and the company who takes your money. So much of it will depend on the testing centers in your area. To be honest, I go to the one that's most convenient, either by distance or schedule.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Gotrekk

Gotrekk Bit Poster

Was just havin a look at the passport and I think it'll be very useful later, like a summarized versione of the All-in-One. Looks like Passport keeps all the most important concepts, better explained in the All-in-One

6. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

I recently took my A+ 2003, and used both the All-in-One and Passport. I found the latter very helpful and enjoyable to read, and it certainly helped cement key information.

Like the others, in my opinion it's best to use it as a summary in the revision stage together with other material, eg labs, notes, prep tests etc.

Best of luck.

Rgds

Rosie

Certifications: A+, CIW foundation
    WIP: CIW Site Designer