Tiscali

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Jay_7, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

Arghhhh!!!!!

Tiscali are doing my nut in.

Last night at around 19:30, while I was actually browsing the web, Tiscali must have disconnected me. I'm using a Linksys WRT320N connecting through a Draytek Vigor 120 to provide PPPoE/PPPoA translation. The router just can't connect anymore despite working perfectly for the last 4 months (including up to 19:30 last night!).

I've already proved that there's nothing wrong with either the Draytek or the router by using them at someone elses house.

My contract runs out on the 10th and I'm extremely tempted to just tell them to stick their broadband, ask for my MAC code and then wish for their next sh**e to be a pineapple.

Anyone know what I can do in this case? I have plenty of previous with them in the earlier months of the contract for providing sub-standard speeds (for which they said there was work going on in the local exchange - I later found out this was a lie after speaking to one of the guys that work in there).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA 200-120
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

so you were due to be disconnected on the 10th? and it happened early? have you spoke to them to confirm this is the case?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

Well when a broadband (adsl) contract runs out, AFAIK they don't just disconnect you. At least - they'd better not. According to Tiscali "support" there's nothing wrong with the account. Then again they also said they could ping my public IP - I can't see how given that my router can't get an IP address...

All they do is go through their pre-scripted troubleshooting steps to gather that you're connected to your router etc. As soon as their script is exhausted they say "well it must be your router".

4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like a good idea :)
    From my experience of their "technical support" it wasn't very good. You'll likely spend a good week or two trying to sort this problem out. Move while you can.

5. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

After two very angry phone calls, it appears I'm connected again. Amazing what threatening them with OFCOM does! :biggrin

Roll on the 10th - Orange LLU here I come!

6. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

I can better Tiscali customer support.

Went to a customers who was have internet problems, Tested the line and no ADSL.
    Called BT the ISP and told them the problem, arranged for engineer to come.
    Customer called 2 hours later to say BT on-site and nothing wrong with line, went to site and had chat with engineer who told me the phone line was working ok. I said call was raised for ADSL fault.
    After checking his notes he agreed but said that was a different department but he checked the line for ADSL and again agreed no broadband on line.
    We had to then call BT to file another case only to be told by the customer support that the BT engineer had got it wrong and there as nothing wrong with the broadband line.
    Asked to talk to line manager who put in call for engineer site visit.
    Turns out the card at the local exchange had gone and took 3 days to get replacement.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I can better that. Was with Tiscali for 2 years happy as larry as it was a very stable line and then my ADSL went dead so rang them and after 3 days they got a BT engineer out who fixed it and my line went from 2Mbps to 0.1Kbps and Tiscali said it was the max my line would take. I left Tiscali as they couldn't fix it, joining O2 and leaving them withon 1 month as they couldn't fix it, joining BT who swore 512kbps was the max on the line. Emails to BT CEO and 5 months later they found that some BT dickhead had put a limiter on my line by accident. So instead of paying about £10 a month for broadband and unlimited Telephone I'm paying BT 4x as much as I'm stuck with them planks. BT suck donkey balls. They have too tighter grip on our infrastructure and too many idiots like other ISP's who simply don't know what they are talking about.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. Patch230

Patch230 Nibble Poster

Not sure if this will be of help to anyone having issues with Tiscali but I've had people call me out quite a few times regarding loss of wireless connection or just general router problems

Done the following and its worked for all the issues I've had to deal with "so far" :

(via a wired connection)

Logged into router via browser

Re set the router to original shipped settings.

Put the PPPoE/PPPoA settings back in (manually) - the user id anad password supplied by Tiscali

Made a note of the Wep key and saved settings

Re set the network connection settings on the PC/Laptop

Re - Boot PC/Laptop & Reconnect

Pretty straighforward stuff i would imagine for most people but thought I'd post it anyway as its sorted out a lot of issues regarding Tiscali

Certifications: MCDST MCSA