Tips on job hunting

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Black Tortoise, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

Hi can someone advise me on job hunting?

At the moment I am working as a Health Advisor at NHS Direct. I am trying to look for 1st line/service desk positions and other entry level positions. I am regularly doing searches on these positions on the net. However I am having little luck as all of them require experience. One company I know in my area takes on staff without experience/certs which is Computacenter, however they are not recruiting at the moment or through agencies.

Can anyone offer me any other tips or strategies that I am missing that will further enhance my job search?

How should I approach recruitment agencies so I can make sure my applications are not just another name on theri CV pile? how should I introduce and explain myself and my position which lacks experience but entry level certs?

Should I be applying for 1st line/service desk which list requring experience? (this is all I can fine on job searches) for example this job I found on jobserve: http://www.jobserve.co.uk/JobListing.aspx?shid=CE5E528B771BFDCD7E&tv=0

What can I do to enhance my CV/covering letter taylored to IT industry? I will upload it soon.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

If you feel like you are qualified for a position I would go ahead and apply for it. The worst that could happen is you may not get a call back because you didn't have the experience or one or two of the requirements listed.

I definitely wouldn't limit myself to the jobsites. Everybody looking for work is going to those sites and applying. Figure out what ISP's operate in your area and look at the websites for job openings. Go to the websites of any corporations with offices in your area and look for job openings. Look for Dell, HP, IBM, Cisco, Microsoft etc.. partners in your area find out if they are hiring. If you don't see any jobs listed on sites don't be afraid to cold call, email, or visit a place.

Network. Join some professional organizations I am a member of the IEEE and ACM. At times there are local meetings that provide an opportunity to network. Look into any kind of user/interest group in your area that has meetings. Be sure friends and family know you are looking for a job in IT.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Plus keep trying. IT is very competative and it may take you a very long time to get into IT. It took some of us on here a very long time (years) to get into IT you just need to be determined, don't apply for jobs well beyond your experience level and don't over qualify or over certify yourself for your experience level either.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

So basicly:

1. Approach local ISPs directly

2. Network with IT career groups

3. Not to apply to jobs/certificate which are over my experience level (this I already know, I do read this website after all and I doubt this will be the only time I am told this by the same individual)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yes and dont just apply for jobs with IT companies.

Remember nearly every business you can think of uses computers these days and they all need someone who can support them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?