Time to study for a new cert....

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by swatto, May 9, 2011.

1. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Hello all :)

Has been a long time since I have been on here....personal stuff got in the way but now I think it's the right time to study for a new cert and wondered what I should take? Currently got the A+ - would like to be MCP certified in something now I think next? Maybe Windows 7 - we are currently using Windows XP at work but I know we are migrating to 7 soon.

What would you suggest please?

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  2. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

I see that there is an upgrade path to Windows 7 from MCDST but is there a couple of exams I can take to get Windows 7 certified without the MCDST first?

3. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Hey,

Absolutely! The upgrade paths are usually for when you want to get the next-level cert quicker. It's not necessarily EASIER as they usually mean that you have to take one exam that has two or more condensed into one. Anyway, you CAN get certified in Windows 7 without getting the MCDST. You have to take the 70-680 and 70-685 (or 70-686). It's up to you which cert you want to go with (enterprise administrator or desktop support technician). I would look at each of them and see which one is more in line with the work that you do (or are striving towards). Best of luck!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

You will need to do the MCDST first really as is it is being retired at the end of June

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies :) I will start with the 70-680, please could you suggest any good study material for this? I guess I should start with a decent book?

Kevicho I need to do the MCDST for it? Or can I just take 70-680 & 70-685 as suggested above?

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

No, you don't need the MCDST to do the 70-680. If you had the MCDST then you could do the upgrade exam 70-682.

I'd recommend the MS Press study guide plus another one. I don't know if there are any books by Darril Gibson for this one but I've heard that he's very good at getting the information across.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685