Time to re-certify - CCNA

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by mattwest, May 15, 2007.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I took the CCNA back in 2001 and since then i've let my Cisco skills slip a bit as i've concentrated on more Microsoft related technologies.

I'm quite interested in Networking and my employer is willing to put me through the 4 CCNP courses over the next year or so. Therefore i feel i should re-certify my CCNA as it ran out several years ago.

Any advice on taking the CCNA these days? Obviously the objectives have changed but does anyone know of any "gotcha's" i should be aware of?? :blink

Cheers guys! :biggrin

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Depends. Did they do simulations back then ? Because if they didn't, then that's something new you're gonna have to take into account.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Matt,

Check, but I think if you go through the CCNP it will renew your CCNA.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Yeah SIMS are definately something i'll need to look out for.......... Boyce the CCNP only renews a valid CCNA..... but as mine expired in 2004 and i didnt sit it again or any CCNP exams it expired...... so i'm doing it again!! :rolleyes:

Fun.... if you like that kind of thing! :)

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Ah bugger! :oops:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Rumblings have it that Cisco's about to revamp their CCNA exam. In any case, I'd recommend studying Cisco Press and Sybex, and getting some hands-on practice with routers or simulators.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!