Time for change

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by McBegbie, Dec 30, 2009.

1. McBegbie

McBegbie New Member

Just a quick note to say hello.

Sat at work today I realised it was time to get the hell out of the financial services industry. I've always had an interest in IT so I figured now's as good a time as any. I was going to sign up with Computeach but after finding my way here and reading a few of the threads I figured I could save myself a boat load of cash with self study. Been online and ordered the Mike Meyers AIO study guide for CompTIA A+ tonight which I should have next week and away we go. I look forward to getting to know folks as I have no doubt I'll have plenty of questions as I work my way through things.

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the A+, and a good choice on the study material.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hey.

Welcome to CF and good luck with a career change. :biggrin

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF, what where you doing in the Financial Services Industry?

I was in it as a Financial Advisor up until 1 1/2 years ago, when I jumped into 1st Line Support, I have now been doing 3rd Line for the past 6 months.

So it can be done, any advise, please ask.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. McBegbie

McBegbie New Member

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm currently a mortgage underwriter for a bank (think an unpopular horse of a darker hue). The future's uncertain as our part of the bank is to be sold so I figured now's as good a time as any to start re-training. Going to keep my current job until I've got a couple of certs under my belt. I figured I'd start with CompTIA A+ and hopefully move on to MCDST. Should have enough time before things go pear shaped (fingers crossed)!

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Tough time to be planning a career change - but good luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. McBegbie

McBegbie New Member

Very true and cheers fella, but I figured I'm still the right side of 40 (for another 12 months anyway) and now's as good a time as any. And I can only hope things improve by the time I'm looking for entry level jobs!

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Best wishes as with hard work and dedication you can make it into the role of an IT worker. Cheerio:) and welcome on board.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Thats funny because I was thinking of entering the finance industry ! :D

People get laid off all the time in IT too...