Tier 1 helpdesk tech know after 18 months?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by MasterDelgado, Mar 23, 2017.

1. MasterDelgado

MasterDelgado Nibble Poster

For those of you at Tier 1/2/3 and beyond, what kind of things were you able to do after 18 months on the job on the helpdesk/service desk?

Certifications: Sec+ | Fortinet NSE 1 & 2
    WIP: CCNA
  2. MasterDelgado

Don't all reply at once...

3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

This forum is mostly inactive now so dont expect a fast response or a large response either.

To answer your question I have learned alot in 18 months. Become quite proficient in DNS and software troubleshooting. Learned some basic AD also. Tbh alot of what I know is self-taught sometimes I can resolve an issue not through experience but through studying in my spare time. My advice to anyone going into helpdesk is be prepared to put in extra effort in your freetime in order to keep your head above water.

MasterDelgado and Kopite_21 like this.
  4. MasterDelgado

Thanks Juelz.

5. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

They should have a good understanding on some of the policies and proceeders in a work place.

They should also have some basic understanding of how a IT team functions.

They should also right about now look at getting something more challenging if they feel bored.

6. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Kinda depends on the size of the firm, what sort of business they are in and other stuff too. I started at a small understaffed MSP where you had to learn fast because there was often nobody to help. It was horrifying. But I did learn a lot, real fast.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  7. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Yeah it depends on the environment as well as the career development that is present to you

it also depends on how much work you put in.

What you get is what you put in !

FlashDangerPants,

I have also worked in those kind of horrible work environments before and I hope to never ever get into one of those in my career again !

But I do agree, you tend to up skill very very fast in those kind of environments