Thursday - What a day ahead.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Colloghi, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Shepherdess

Shepherdess Bit Poster

Congratulations! And a well deserved pint for you -> :beers2

WIP: MCSE, MCTS
  2. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

rock on man, i would say that is for sure a kick ass start to the weekend. now just don't drink and drive and die before you first day :)

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Much congratulations on the pass - have a great weekend!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass and the job!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Great to read and hear that you landed the job as well as got the pass for the exam. Well done and enjoy the new role.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

well done mate :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Yeah well done on the pass :)

A pass is a pass!

You just get a Bit of paper with "Successfully Completed Requirements" on it!

I hope your positive exam passing aura rubs of on the interviewers and you get the job!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Well done mate, really well done!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

congratulations on both the job and the exam - who says the end of the week can be dull :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Nice thread, well done for passing and getting the job.

WIP: LIFE
  12. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Congrats and welcome to the IT crowd :P

Seriously well done m8

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  13. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thought id pop in and say hi on this:D

im still on cloud 9, a week monday to go woohoo!

anyhow, i was given some feedback from my interview which i thought was great and would like to add some here, hopefully it may help others in interviews, as it will certainly prepare myself a bit better for other interviews

As i mentioned earlier on this topic i was given a caller scenario about a lawn mower, now i no nothing about lawn mowers, apart from you can cut the grass with them apparently:eek: what a great invention!

To cut a long story short, i approached it with simplest queries frist, is the power cord in etc, etc, eventually i resolved the situation, the plug socket was faulty:blink. I was told many IT Technical people tend to over complicate things, and straight away assume that the user has tried things such as turning it on etc so they usually jump five steps ahead. One guy interviewed who was very IT techical had apparently, decided that the Lawn mower needed to be sent back and replaced..........he didnt get the job, despite his knowledge....

They also asked me how much notice i had to give at my current job, although i did say a week, i asked for two, so that my work could be given a bit of time to find someone, (i must be mad), and upon my feedback they said they were very impressed with my loyality and commintment to my employer.

One more thing which has been echoed throughout a couple of the boards here, in regards to interviews........honesty. IF you dont know about a problem they put to you, say so. If they asked you about a certain aspect about you, and you feel its a weak point. Then tell them that weak point, but make it sound a positive weakness, or a weakness which you can show you have improved, and are willing to improve further.

It may help some people it may not, but thats just some of the things i took from the interview.

One more thing i will say.

If any axious people are out there wondering or not if they will be good enough at an IT interview, just go for it, Whilst im over the moon i got the job, if i handt, i would of been happy with how the interview went either way, its been one of the best learning steps for me and my pursuit of an IT career:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  14. BosonMichael

Good information for people trying to get their first IT job! Rep given.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for sharing Colloghi, IT to a very large degree is all about resolving issues. But firstly, the problem needs to be carefully analysed and issue isolated step by step.

Great thanks for sharing as am not surprised as its not always the most technical experienced person that eventually lands the job, said it before and saying it again.

Best wishes in your new role:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well thought i might as well bring this to an end.

Started the New Job yesterday, seems great, apparently money is poo(according to my colleagues) but for me is better wage than Asda and ive got my foot in the IT world Door.

First glance, We are classed as 1st/2nd line support although, and resolve issues through phone and email. it does seem a job which entails a lot more "logging and passing the book" than actual resolving, but this seems due to mainly the majority of calls involve specific applications, not the standard, windows, office etc. The main guise of involvement for the actual "helpdesk team" seems to e resetting of passwords, and unlocking of user accounts. I think one of the helpdesk issues, perhaps this is the same in other 1st line helpdesk, is that more than a few of the people there, dont have an actual interest in IT at all, one guy told me how much he hates computers lol

ah well

overall, i think ill enjoy it, and as i said earlier my foot is in the door which is the main thing:D

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Cool

One of the IT guys at my place says he can't stand to look at his pc when he goes home at night.

He must be in the wrong job I tell him.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. BosonMichael

THAT, my friend, is why people who enjoy IT tend to excel at IT, moving up the IT career ladder... and why those who do not enjoy IT tend to stay in the lower-level jobs. 8)