Thunderstorm

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Jul 6, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

We had a pretty amazing thunderstorm last night. It was constant lightning for at least a half hour with about 50 mph winds, and driving rain. As the winds were coming from the opposite side of the house our sliding glass doors are on I was standing at the open sliding doors watching the show and a lightning strike hit so close that I could literally feel the shock wave of the thunder at what seemed like milliseconds before I even saw the flash.

Scared me so bad I jumped about a foot in the air. :oops:

Looks like we have a daylight storm coming through today as the thunder has been rumbling for about a 1/2 an hour again and the rain is just now starting to fall. It will be interesting to see if this storm gets as intense as the one last night.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Ahh, I love summer.

I had my first moment of 'teching' today. Given I work in a sales office, I was quite surprised to be involved.

We had a storm roll over the Midlands. Coventry, where I work, was thumped pretty bad. A lightning bolt struck a substation attached to one of the factories on site. Lights went out (backups kicked in after seconds) but the phones and server went down; our HO in Halifax panicked something rotten.

So I was involved in finding out that 'ooh, one whole socket on an entire wall of RJ45 sockets still works. No, not that one, that one there.'

Then it was. 'Okay. Go get a hub, I'll crawl around the desks and hook everyone up.' So they bring up a 4 port hub. For a sales office. Wheee. That works...

But the storm rumbled on for hours... and hearing it crack so close - everyone jumped out of their skin! And it was soooo pretty.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

actually, i would sooo welcome even a mild storm by now. it's been a sauna for far too long now. i can't stand this anymore. even taking a shower isn't refreshing anymore, because the exertion of drying off is making you sweat already. where i live in holland there's only been a 10 minute freak rain storm, but the rain evaporated quickly after that.

just out of curiousity, freddy, but what region in the us of a do you live?

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Even with backups, I'm not sure if it's a good idea having the computers on? Unless they are surge protected?

Still it must be nice to put some of that studying into practice eh?

UCM :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

They are protected to the nines - I think that's the only reason they didn't go when the bolt went.

We've got a comms room with 3 cabinets with various servers, switches, and so on. Only 2 of the switches got fried. One of those provides the network for the sales office. Typical.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

The storms on Monday night required a new blade in the main routing switch, various media converters and I had to re-install windows onto one of the servers. We were lucky that the server wasn't an "important" server, so it was not that bigger problem. In fact a good time to upgrade from 2K server to 2003 R2.

Ho Hum

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. ffreeloader

I'm in the Pacific Northwest, d-Faktor. We don't normally have a lot of thunderstorms here as the humidity is normally pretty low out here in Eastern Washington, but the temps have been around 100 degrees F. for the last week or so and the humidty has been up higher than normal for the temps we have had. When those conditions occur we do get some pretty good storms, and this is one of those times.

It's been a wild year for weather here as we've had a couple of storms that produced funnel clouds that touched down this year, Normally they are about as rare as hens teeth out here. We've also had some rain storms that dropped about 2" an hour of rain. Seeing that normal rainfall here is about 12-14 inches of rain a year storms like that are very unusual.

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A few 56k modems got fried over the weekend when we had storms, fun and games! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

i think ucheekymonkey experienced a snow storm:

[​IMG]

10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I like it!

good one mate :thumbleft

11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

monkey - wtf happened to your avatar? looks like the poor thing is shi77ing itself!

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

No that's shock!

I always look like that on pay day when I open my pay packet and see just how little I get! :lol: :joker

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

We had the same storm in my neck of the woods. Knocked out the power for hours, dumped a ton of water on us and the lightning and thunder hung around forever. Usually summer thunderstorns come, shake things up for a few minutes, and leave. This one stayed, knocked down trees and power poles, destroyed a 3 million dollar plus home when it was hit by lightning and consumed by fire and generally terrorized everything from the Oregon border to almost the middle of southern Idaho.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. ffreeloader

Ummm.... Sorry it burned down your new house, Trip.... :D

Sounds like we we were fortunate to just get the northern edge of the storm.