Throwing my Toys or Taking a stand

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jaron78, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Just wanted some opinions in all honesty.

Before I start, I, my Line Manager and his Line Manager, all think I am correct.

3 Weeks ago we had a team meeting. I am based in London; everyone else is based in Leeds. During the meeting, one of the team announced that they had been assigned a project setting up and maintaining a temporary office in London.

My Line manager expressed surprise at this, as he had not heard about it. I expressed concerns, as I could not work out how you can setup desks in London when based in Leeds.

Long story short, said colleague has been given a promotion in London, but the role hadn’t been made public. Essentially, my colleague will be moving down to London and will be my line manager. REALLY put out by this as A: I have made it know to my managers that I want to move up within the company, B: There was no interview process, and C: Our main offices are in Leeds so any role I have applied for, I haven’t got as I wasn’t willing to move to Leeds, D: Senior Managers went over my line managers head and offered the role without taking any advice or suggestions.

Anyway, I had a meeting with my line managers and the head of the dept. I asked why I was not considered for the role and in not so many words, he stated, “He has done work for me in the past, and that’s my final say on the matter”. Therefore, I escalated to HR and put in an official complaint. HR have investigated, nothing has changed, case closed, but they found in my favour.

A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to assist on the office deployment. It was just 6 or so Laptops so I said I would. Built the machines and took them over. Over the last few days, I am getting more and more requests for the temporary office, as well over 10 new starters to Build the machines, and then go over, and set everything up. So in effect run the project while my “new line manager” sits up in Leeds doing his BAU while my office struggles.

It has got to a point now where the office I support is struggling because I am either not there, or I am building machines and helping the guys at the new office. I also have to use all my stock, which means, if I have an emergency, no-one can have a machine.

I have gone back to my line manager’s and senior managers and explained I am no longer willing to help on this as I feel like that are really taking advantage.

Thoughts?

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, so I think you're throwing your toys.

You work for this company, so does the other guy.
    The other guy is now your Line Manager right? So is he asking you to support the new office? Your Line Manager is asking you to do something and you're getting pissed off?

I may have got the wrong end of the stick here, but it sounds to me, based purely on the info in your post, that if you want to succeed within the company you're going to have to suck it up and get on with it. If you think the request is unreasonable then can you not 'cc' in a higher manager to your responses?

Jaron78 likes this.
  3. Jaron78

Fair points.

I've at no point been asked to support the new office. I was asked to build a couple of machines to help out which I did. I've then been hit with an influx of work all for this new office while having to support my current office as BAU. When it was announced my colleague was taking on this project, it was stated that he would be doing the work. He isn't actually my line manager until Jan.

I have already Cc'd our current line managers who both agree that this isn't a fair deal.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Who is giving you this work to do? The New LM?

5. Jaron78

No-one mate. It's literally a case of if it doesn't get done..people don't have machines or desks. This is my problem.

I have a colleague in a separate office sending machines down to users, but we have no IT at the office. So I get calls from users explaining that they have Laptops but nothing setup etc.

As I am the only London based Desktop Support, I have to leave my BAU and go and work on a project that I have no involvement in.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah, I agree that this situation doesn't seem fair to you. But at the end of the day, you have to decide whether you're being paid a fair wage for the services you provide. If so, do your best to work with your supervisors to minimize disruptions as well as any unfairness to you. If not, and/or if you feel like you aren't being recognized for your hard work, it might be time to put your feelers out there. And if that's the case, I'd urge you to have a job offer in your pocket before doing anything rash.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
    AJ and Jaron78 like this.
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Seriously mate, just leave, they had a chance to promote you, and they didn't. This combined with your complaint mean that you likely aren't ever going to get any satisfaction out of this firm.
    If there are any decent roles out there, which being London, I can almost certainly say there are, I'd walk.

My last role change I secured an 18% pay rise, if you stay under these jokers they will be yanking your chain forever.

Jaron78 likes this.
  8. Jaron78

Thanks for the responses guys. I just wanted another pair of eyes as it were.

I don't think I am being unfair. We have a meeting tomorrow to discuss how to proceed. But in all honesty, all faith in senior management has been destroyed and I think this project is the final nail in the coffin. It's a shame as I get on really really well with my current line managers and the team.

Started looking already :)

9. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Seems you have an HR dept like ours.

I would flip my lid and possibly take it even further than HR, surely any job needs to be opened up to everyone, I thought that was the done deal, you cant just put people in a role and expect everyone to accept it when there hasnt been a formal process. On saying that if you do even further and kick up a stink you will ruffle some feathers and that could be bad for you

I think what you need to do now is sit down with the your original line manager and say that you are struggling with the extra workload, tell them its stressing you out if it is.

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    Jaron78 likes this.
  10. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Typical example of office politics seen it happen countless times. I wouldnt have helpedout in the first place tbh, youve done his job for him and will get zero of the credit.. I think going to HR was a mistake I think in the longrun things could get complicated for u as managers dont like people who complain.. I know its not fair but this is just typical office politics, its all about who likes you. I agree they acted unethically but this is what companies do. I hope the situation simmers down for you, I admire you for trying to fight it though, personally I wouldnt have bothered.

Jaron78 likes this.
  11. Jaron78

In all honesty mate, unless I'd be willing to move to Leeds, I don't think I have any promotional prospects. Not something I am willing to do. Time to look for a new job!

Juelz likes this.
  12. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Your situation is similar to mine, I got screwed out of a promotion so left and got a new job.

Jaron78 likes this.
  13. Jaron78

If its a fair process, and I dont get the job, I appreciate that and move on. Tell me where I need to improve and I will do it.

What I dont like is when its done sneakily and behind peoples back. Lost all faith and trust in senior managers.

mojorisin and Juelz like this.
  14. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I honestly see this as a standard process within organisations. I really think 95% will operate in this way.

Jaron78 likes this.
  15. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

It sounds like you have a decision to make on if you believe you can get what you want out of the company. Obviously you have factors like travel, pay and comfort to take in to account as well as your personal situation but from the sounds of it you want to progess and improve.

I have recently made this decision myself and although tough you have to believe in yourself!

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
    Jaron78 likes this.
  16. Jaron78

*Update*
    Looking for a new job.
    Sticking it out here while I have to. Do my 9 till 5:30 and that's it, nothing more.

We have a big office move coming up and they have told everyone that they will have to work weekends, late nights etc.
    Ive told them I'm not doing it. Just checked my contract and my stated hours are 9 till 5:30, Monday to Friday.

Line Manager agrees with me and totally understands why. I may work late when we are in the new office, but its only to work on my Cyber Ops.

17. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I thought you worked from home? How long you been with the company?

18. Jaron78

Nah mate. Commute to work. About 2 years now.

19. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

That's the spirit. Push back as much as you can. Do shite for yourself and anything that aligns with your values. For instance, doing a personal favour for a colleague that you consider a friend, I see that as a genuine reason to stay late OCCASIONALLY. If management suddenly tell you you're working outside your normal hours and you're not contracted to. f%$k them. They need to respect the fact that people have lives outside of work. If you WANT to work late, make sure you have an overtime rate agreed.

Jaron78 likes this.
  20. Jaron78

I honestly don't mind helping people out within reason. I am on really good terms with a lot of the staff in the office and really good terms with both my line managers. Its just the senior managers that are absolute tools (and the guy that's coming down from up North).

But yeah, as you say, I am doing what my contract says and nothing more.