This years Graduates...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, May 26, 2009.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi Guys,

Just posting after what I saw on msn.co.uk and the news recently.

2009 graduates are now being told to look for work outside of the country... any comments

FatP

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Yeah thats on the BBC news website too. I'm not sure if its good advice but I'd love to have 6 months Dubai on my CV. I'm a graduate but did my degree part time whilst working in IT so I don't really fit into that scenario I don't think

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Exactly, if Computer Science degree graduates cannot get employment then spending £4-8k with a TP in order to braindump some certs in 1-2 months isn't going to make a jot of difference.

Maybe now we'll see less chancers in IT, but somehow I doubt it...

However if that doesn't stop it the fact that IT is fast becoming a minimum wage job with call centers and offices where workers are treated little better than factory farmed chickens probably will...

For a long time now you've had to be prepared to relocate around the UK to get work, now it looks like you have to be prepared to relocate internationally...

If you're going to enter IT now you better have something to bring to the table, and you better be in it for the long haul...

4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I am sure most Graduates, who on average are ~15k+ in debt, can afford plane tickets and hotels for each interview :rolleyes:

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

It sounds pretty sad when the BBC is telling the young minds to leave the country for a chance to be successful.

If graduates work and function in another country and/or culture, what chance is there that many will return home? Also, in agreement with AndiC, this can’t sound very encouraging to a graduate with huge debts already incurred.

6. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Yes there is going to be massive competition for those Grad jobs which is why one should get experience and certs to back it up before going for this positions which is what I am trying to do - hopefully this puts me in an advantage when compared to others who may not have the same level as experience or certs as myself.

TBH though you look around and there are the jobs out there, you just have to be prepared to perhaps take a job which you believe may be below you to get you on the career ladder.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  7. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

"The latest CIPD/KPMG Labour Market Outlook report highlights a jobs market sure to strike fear into school-leavers and graduates taking first steps into the jobs market.The labour market outlook looks set to be fraught for all young people, with nearly half (45%) of UK companies not planning to recruit from either of these groups.

Most hard hit are the school leavers. Only 17% of employers from a sample of more than 500 plan to recruit from the pool of 16-year-olds leaving school in the next three months, while a third plan to hire school-leavers at eighteen.

The situation is more optimistic for graduates, underlying the advantage of university study, but still less than a half intend to recruit those leaving university this summer. On top of this, a third of employers say they have already cut the number of graduates they recruit this year."

http://www.onrec.com/newsstories/24959.asp

Doesn't make for good reading although it doesn't offer any past stats to compare to.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA