This sucks...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Balian, Feb 2, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I personally think you came across a picky interviewer, im sure ill get that sort of response when/if i get a job interview. In a sense i spose if they dont like what they see from the off then youve no chance unless you could talk your way around it. Most important though, even tho you will get knocked left , right and centre, is to try and keep a positive mind about the whole thing.

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

To be honest, I've had the best results when I introduce the great white elephant sitting on my shoulder that both the interviewer and I know exists: lack of experience in many settings.

I deal with it up front and point out that although I don't have a lot of paid experience I do have technical skills, and I have a lot of experience dealing with customers and a background of troubleshooting technical issues. IOW's, I highlight my soft skills as much as possible and talk about my love of IT.

I actually start to deal with it in my cover letter, and since I've been interviewed for systems administrator positions I think it works, as I've been the only newbie to get interviewed for a lot of the more advanced positions I've applied for.

I've only started dealing with this issue in my cover letters for the past 6 to 8 months and during that time I have gotten a lot more interviews so there is a pretty good correlation between dealing with my lack of paid experience and getting to interviews. I have to say though that my ability to communicate in the written medium doesn't hurt me either.

I'd advise anyone who doesn't have good writing skills to work on them just hard as you're working on your computer skills. It takes both to find a job anymore because if you can't communicate your love of IT, how well you can relate to people in real life, or your ability to troubleshoot in your cover letter just how are you going to get to that interview where you are able to talk to someone? Even then an interview is a stressful experience and many of us aren't at our absolute best under the stress of an interview on which your future in IT lies. So, the ability to convince someone to interview you by using your writing skills is essential.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Good idea mate. I'd like to be able to get to the interview stage to be honest, that said, it's early days.

Mark, I had a mate that did 5 months on a stumpy 42, scarred him for life. He had to pretend that he was scared of deepwater to get transferred ashore, and from there, to a different ship. :biggrin 23's any day. 8)

Certifications: HND IT, A+
    WIP: MCP 2003 Server, XP Professional
  4. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

The OM's course depended as to which variant you joined as. I was an EW, which meant that I got the chance to do a fair bit of pc maintenance on board, at the same time as deck sweeping, paintin' an' chippin', getting yelled at, and generally being treated like a 5 year old. That, and the Gulf was why I'd had enough. Oh, and the fact that due to the size of the Fleet now (the smallest it's been since Henry VIII!!) there's no such thing as a jolly anymore. :rolleyes: It's all "warzone after warzone after warzone".... *Tuts, rolls his eyes, scratches his butt, and cracks on with some work*....

Certifications: HND IT, A+
    WIP: MCP 2003 Server, XP Professional
  5. paparika

paparika Bit Poster

It does suck, during my placement, i was put in a position that i had to rely on what i knew, and passed the test, so i feel very confident in what i do.

but when i return from a interview the results are the job went to someone with Field experience, unfortunately how on are are you ment to get that if they wont take you on.

Certifications: NCFE, BTEC Diloma pc servicing & network