This one takes the cake!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Oct 31, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I've seen the medical profession do some pretty asinine things in the last decade or so, but this one, as the title of this thread says, takes the cake.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ahh, bureaucracy at it's finest! :dry

jk.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

@zzh013z! :x

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

I am amazed. My father-in-law was in there a few years ago and the staff were simply some the best he, and the rest of the family, had ever come across.

That this happened is sad. Yet another example of the political correctness and absolute literalism we find in society today. :rolleyes:

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thats just really shocking...and to think the hospital staff normally encourage that sort of stuff...shocking indeed...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I agree with Trip.:x

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

ahhh! PCUK. i love it , things like not being allowed to say "nit-pick" because it offends people with nits, robbers getting legal aid and criminal compensation if they hurt themselves in the act, people who have 15 kids and live off the state......just part of the long list why i love my country so much and now added to with that poor girls story.

*end rant.*

but good find freddy! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good old Daily Rangers for bringing us that tale. I think you're all actually falling for the "dewy-eyed little girl" slant that the Scottish tabloid press are infamous for in order to shift more issues of their rags. The official statement from the hospital is that they do not an will not release onto the public any body parts of the human body the could conceivably pass on infection.

Not a bad attitude for a modern hospital, IMHO, keeping themselves 110% accountable by their own rules.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

To me it sounds more like one particular dentist, misinterpreting the hospitals rules...

A hospital spokesman said: "The policy is that we would retain teeth unless a specific request was made by a patient who wanted to take them home.

"We do not know what happened in this case and will look into it."

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. ffreeloader

***said very dryly***

Yeah, we all know just how dangerous a pulled tooth can be. They are well-known source of contamination and kill lots of kids every year.... I'm sure glad someone kept mine from me, and that I didn't let any of my kids have theirs. Those pulled teeth woulda killed us all.... I might possibly have not lived out my childhood if I would have gotten to keep the teeth that came out of my head....

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Freddy, I don't know whether you have not maybe taken my point fully onboard (though I would not insult your intelligence by suggesting this). Stop and think about the blame culture that is rife nowadays, and how easy the litigation lawyers line their pockets so readily. Can you blame a hospital of all places for keeping themselves within the letter of the law ? If the child (or anyone, for that matter) were to suffer so much as a cut finger from the ragged edge of a pulled tooth (we do not know why they were pulled after all), there would most likely, in this country anyway, lawyers beating the doors down to take the case. This is the point I make (and that the small girl was most probably hysterical at the thought of lack of income from the missing teeth - as a parent of a 7 year old daughter, I know fully the exhiliration of that "wobbly tooth" that means income !)

Sorry you feel the need to resort to dry sarcasm in response to my post, but you freely state your opinions on a daily basis - I am merely doing the same here, and will cross swords with no-one in the process. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. ffreeloader

Gav,

My answer was given to you, but the sarcasm wasn't really directed at you. It was more at the direction our societies are going. It's ridiculous for a someone to keep a pulled tooth from a child, and ridiculous for someone to sue over stupid things. Both things happen and both are ridiculous.

However, when we live our lives, or run our business, in fear that someone will sue us then we as societies have really lost everything. Sure, some idiot might attempt to sue, but living lives based upon that fear is just plain out-to-lunch. That's like not driving your automobile because you might hit someone and get sued. Hey, it happens. People sue each other over this kind of rot every day, but does that mean we should live our lives in fear of it? That businesses policy should be decided from fear? I don't think so. If it happens, it happens, and you deal with it. Anything less than that means that life will soon become so sterile that it won't be worth living.

Living and being in business means risk, and if we are so afraid of risk that we can't give a little girl her teeth to take home for the tooth fairy, well, there is something wrong with both the litigious society and the way we respond to it.