This may seem abit strange but...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Med, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Med

Med Bit Poster

Theres a few sites I visit EVERY time I log onto my computer, both are forums before you ask! but there bike related, (if you too are a bike/car enthusiast you'll know what im going through) Im trying to block these sites for myself, but I cant seem to do it, Im about to sit the 270 exam aswell :oops:

Ive put them in restricted sites list, but no joy?

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Restricted sites in parental controls? Are you an admin? Parental controls doesn't work for admins.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Med

Med Bit Poster

there must be a way, its useless if I have to create another user account, only other thing I can think of is ask to be banned from either forums :ohmy

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

can you not just block the sites in your firewall as a band or untrusted then you wont be able to access it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael

Install something like Trend Micro Internet Security, restrict those sites, and have a friend lock the software settings with a password.

Alternatively, you can do the same with your router at home, if you have one.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Med

Med Bit Poster

norton firewall seemed to work, nice one :)

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

you could do what some malware does and put dummy entries in your host file that re-directs the dns query for those two sites to the loopback address.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. BosonMichael

But then he's got to find a way to lock himself away from changing it back again... :) Hard to password protect a HOSTS file. :)

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

yeah i know.. what i meant though, is that's what i would have done to another persons PC to redirect them with the minimum amount of administrative effort :biggrin

Clearly, anything the OP does himself, can also be undone by himself, so he needs to involve somebody else at some point.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. BosonMichael

Exactly... like password protecting his AV/firewall or router. Of course, he could put in a string of nonsense characters... but if he ever had to get into it again, he'd be up the creek! :D