This is why the A+ should be your starting point.

Discussion in 'A+' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 26, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you are trying to get into IT and are wondering about which certifications to persue then this will explain why you should start with the A+

The A+ will prepare you for life as tech, you will learn skills such professionalism in the work place, saftey, security, Hardware & software.

The A+ will also prepare you for other certs such as the N+ and MCDST.

I built my first PC when I was about 12 or 13, I knew basically what the stuff did, I just didn't know how it worked this also what the A+ will teach you.

Some people dismiss the entry level certs as they see them as being easy. I say if they are that easy then why not do them?

Having certifications below your experience level can't hurt you whilst having certifications above your experience level can.

I have done quite a few computer courses and qualifications and I learned things on my A+ that I didn't learn whilst doing those other qualifications.

Some people are drawn into the garbage that "you should get the MCSE and you will earn mega bucks" garbage. It simply doesn't work that way anymore. You have to start at the bottom with low level certs and job positions until you progress. Gone are the days when people were earning good money for their first IT job.

Also some companies wont even entertain the idea of giving you an interview for tech job unless you have the A+, I believe IBM and Dell have it as requirement aswell as HP.

The A+ in my opinion is not to be underestimated especially if you are a beginner. See here for more info on the A+ http://certification.comptia.org/a/

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Great post GBL!

I have the same view of the A+ as you. I could knock PC's together for fun from my early teens, but whilst reading through the A+ there were plenty of "ah, so that's how it does that" moments.

It gives you alot more confidence when you know why things work, not just that purple tab A slots into green tab B.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Totally agree - great post :)

Im not doing the A+ because I need a qualification to get into an I.T job as I am already in one. I am doing it to see how I get on and find my best study method so that I can move onto higher qualifications.

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I've found it really useful for sorting out my study methods as well, I went down a few blind alleys and brick-walled a couple of times but I've found ways round those problems now.

I've put together a little piece on my study methods, specific to the A+, which I may get round to posting at some point.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Would be great if you could do that soundian :)

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  6. greenbrucelee

I'd also like to add the N+ to being a great starting point for networking too. THis prepares you for other networking certs and actually helped me a little on my MCDST

7. greenbrucelee

yep tis good to share :D