This Is Me And Why I'm Here

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by powder21, Jul 10, 2012.

1. powder21

powder21 Bit Poster

Hi all! This is my first post. I generally like introducing myself before posting in specific sub-forums (although this time I'm doing both at the same time). My name is Ryan Scheffer. I've had a two-year associate's degree in Computer Network Systems from ITT-Tech since 2009 and I've been working as a PC technician at Staples (retail stores) since 2007. My family recently provided me an oppurtunity to leave my position there and focus my efforts on getting certified and I am soooo happy and anxious to get started! I've never felt very confident in interviews for a position in my field for two reasons:

1. My experience at Staples over the years - from associate to lead technician - has been, IMO, very basic. It's consisted mainly of simple hardware replacements, OS installs, and removal/installation of software (All of it overpriced). Most of what I consider to be more technical operations - like true hardware diagnostics, OS troubleshooting, and CPU/Mobo replacements just to name a few - are done through third parties. I felt more like a service writer at a dealership, i.e. sales oriented.

2. Even though I graduated with a 4.0 at ITT, I left with an overall feeling of not accomplishing much. ITT felt like more of a business than a school. If it wasn't for only one good teacher, and some of my own extra-curricular studies, I doubt I would've learned anything.

So here I am beginning a path to what I hope will be a feeling of confidence when asked whether or not I can do something. I'm starting off with my A+ and Net+, of which I am currently studying for the former. From there I'm uncertain, but I'm sure I will either go MCITP or Cisco. Thank you all for offering a community of support for aspiring IT people like me.

2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF, the A+ currently in the 2009 objectives is set to retire at some point in the near future (date is uncertain at this time), with the 2012 objectives taking over... I just wanted to inform you of that to give you a good idea of where the A+ currently is.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! The opportunity you have is great so make the most of it 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF, good to have you here.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. powder21

powder21 Bit Poster

Thank you all for your replies!

Shadowwebs: I am aware of this. Unfortunately, because of the opportunity I have been given, I cannot wait around for the 2012 objectives study material to be released. I have to study right now. When I put in my two weeks at Staples, I was unaware of the 2012 objectives. I may have waited had I known.

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Ryan!

With the experience you have, it should help you in finding technical support type roles such as desktop support. I know what you're feeling as a few years back I felt the same way, but its a matter of time before you move up. I have a friend who worked at staples in a similar capacity for a few years before landing a desktop support role. I am sure in your job, you must have some customer facing experience and the foundation for technical support which is definitely a good thing when hunting for jobs in this field. Certifications like A+ and Network+ will help you, I know it helped me when I first started.

The time you've been given to study for exams is great, its hard having to work a full day then go home and study. Feel free to post a thread if you need help with anything, that's why we're here :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  9. powder21

powder21 Bit Poster

Thanks again everyone. Out of the several certification related forums I've joined, this one has been by far the most welcoming. I really appreciate a place where so many people are nice enough to make the new guy feel like you've made me feel.