This can't be right

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by onoski, Dec 4, 2008.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I was browsing through jobserve.com and did a search on desktop support roles and found the salary starting at £23k per annual. The highest was £35k for a permanent desktop support role.

Well on the other hand also did a search for Network support roles and found the starting salary at £22k per annual. The highest was £30k for a permanent role and thought a network support role should be asking for higher in comparison with the desktop support role.

I understand the dynamics of the current global economic state of things but just felt the above doesn't equate. What's your thoughts on this?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It depends on the individual companies, the responsibilities, the area and the sector. In the education sector only (in the UK) there is a wide difference in pay, an IT manager can earn anywhere from £20k pa to £40k+ pa.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hey Ken, thanks for the feedback as I see your point is just that I have always though a network support role commands more dosh:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It depends on the demands of the company.

I work for a good (but not top 50) UK law firm that's strictly classed as an SMB. Whilst I'm paid less than the Jobserve 'minimum stated' the people I work with and the fringe benefits of the job outweight the difference.

I have seen a job for a higher-class (larger, more offices, more dynamics) law firm (possibly magic circle - top 5) in London that's a first and second line role (what I basically do now) for £35K. They exist - but I bet you a pound to a penny the change wouldn't be worth the rise in pay.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Very true, as I can some what relate to the above. Hey! it's true most times as with the saying the grass isn't always greener on the other side:)