Thinkpad NIC

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kat731, Jul 9, 2004.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,
    been away for a bit, back now, and tucking in to my A+ training.
    Got question, have got an old Thinkpad A20M laptop to mess about with. Have loaded win 98 and then 2k. My only problem is, according to IBM's site the A20M comes with onboard NIC, it has RJ45, but it wont load any NIC drivers. Tried IBM PC Doctor, said no NIC found. Win98 and 2K both dont pick it up??
    Am i missing somethin????
    Kat :rolleyes:

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Have you had a look in the BIOS to see if it may be disabled? Also try running the find "new hardware wizard" from the control panel as windows may pick it up then. Just a thought, HTH.

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi,
    Thanks for that Si,
    this is doin my ed in............ all seems well in BIOS, me thinks, an unknown device is being detected in device manager-i presume its the NIC, but both IBM NIC drivers dont want to know.
    Kat :cussing

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Kat,

Have you tried running Windows Update to see if any patches allow Windows to "pick up" the hardware ? From what you say, the machine obviously can "see" the hardware, just not tell what it is.

Just a thought ... :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Does the modem work OK, have to tried the online driver check util on the IBM website?

6. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Ok, thanks. Still no go. got on the net via my wireless setup. Went to IBM's automated support, tried their driver utillity, guess what, the A20M is'nt supported :cussing So, still have an unknown device which must be the NIC!!!!!! There seems to be only 2 ethernets on IBM's site for A20M, and i've tried both drivers.... I know when i get my A+, i'll end up with a similar problem in the field, so i suppose i better practise saying, "Oh, you dont need that anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :cowboy Lol.....

Kat

7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Hey Kat, any luck on this one. Sorry I couldn't help more I've had a few problems of my own to sort. Maybe somebody also could have a stab then maybe we might be able to help you a little more.

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Interesting.

Have you tried to connect it to another machine yet?

Maybe it's been damaged internally.

Can't see how dual-booting would cause this :dry
    Is it dual-boot, or have you installed 2000 over 98?

Doesn't seem like a hardware profile setting, but always worth checking I suppose.

Check your IRQ's also, just to make sure there's no conflicts.

Let's hope you get this sorted.In the meantime I'll think on it more.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You say that it's an older IBM Thinkpad and that IBM doesn't support the NIC. Is it too old perhaps? As a workaround, can you disable the device (yeah, I know it's not really "enabled") and use a PCMCIA NIC card? Just a thought.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,
    thanks for posts. Well, av been digging around, and it seems to me that this particular model probably dosent have the NIC combo. Its the only possible answer. I mean, ive tried everything i can think of, IBM does state that the A20M does have onboard ethernet depending on the model!!!!!!!! The unknown device is annoying, although, i formatted again, and tried 98 again, and it came up with network adapter-PPP, infrared, and somethin else with no unknown!! weird.... put XP back on and now no unknown device. just my wireless G adapter under network adapters... Well, the main thing is it accepts PCMCIA Network ethernets and Wirless and works fine, so, thats fine. So, job done, i think... Kat