Thinking of upgrading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pheonicks56, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

My current rig is:

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Mobo
    AMD AM2 3800+ 2.41GHz CPU
    250Gb HDD
    2Gb DDR2 RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT GPU
    Windows XP Pro

I'm pretty much abondoning the AM2 architecture and going to jump ship to Intel, lets face it AMD has really lagged behind with the multi-core procs. I don't have a whole lot of cash and to jump to Intel I'm going to need a new mobo along with the proc. Should I go with the new Core i7 920 which would also force me into getting new DDR3 RAM or go with the Core 2 Quad 9550 and a mobo that supports DDR2, I haven't found a mobo for socket 1366 that supports DDR2, I don't know if they make 'em or not. So what do y'all think?

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

If you don't have much cash go for the duo. Overclock the balls off of it and stick with DDR2 (there's not much of a jump in performance between that and DDR3 anyway)

How much you have to spend obviously determines our advice with regards to chips etc.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I figured as much, mostly I'm concerned with dieing technology. If I get a new mobo and proc from the duo, there won't really be an upgrade path in a couple years, so going with the newest tech will this buy me a chance to upgrade again at least once before replacing the mobo and will that really be worth the extra cost?

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I was considering upgrading to DDR3 memory and motherboard but it's not worth the cash at the moment. Jump over to Intel, get yourself a decent dual core. When you want to upgrade again you can always go for a Quad Core.
    It also depends when you replace/upgrade your computer. You never know whats around the corner but a Dual Core is a good start.

5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I would look at getting a motherboard that supports both dual and quad core cpu's. That way you can upgrade the chip later on down the line when Quad cores become less expensive.

On a side note, there is little performance difference between dual and quad cores when running a single application. So if you are only playing COD for example, you will get relativley the same performance if you use either a dual or quad core. This is because not many applications/games are programmed to run using more than one thread. If you use lots of cpu intensive applications at once then you will see a benefit from quad core over dual core.

More detail here!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Personally I'm still running my "older-then-dirt" rig:
    AMD XP3200
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (WHOPPING 400 FSB)
    ATI 9800 XT
    3gig 3200 DDR ram

It does the job and runs VMware great.

And since Sharp decided to outfit us all with brand new LOADED Dell Latitude D630's........well I'm not in a hurry anymore to upgrade my desktop.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

get a cpu like mine they are dead cheap and very overclockable if you want to go down that route. and if you can afford it get the same mobo as me too which will help if you go down the overclockable route.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?