Thinking of starting CCNA...oh and hi everyone :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by leeroy, Oct 25, 2007.

1. leeroy

leeroy New Member

Hi all,
    I am currently working in a job repairing plasma/LCD televisions and also computers, I also do other mundane techie stuff like contracts for UK digital assisting with the digital switchover and various commercial IT contracts.

I currently have a comptia A+.

My story is that I had to go to my GP today who told me I am suffering from prepatellar bursitis (Housemaids knee) which is basically an inflamed knee. It is caused by kneeling, something I do a lot of as I either spend my day under someones desk or kneeling around a large plasma TV on the floor.
    The doctor advised me that this painful problem will never go away as long as im doing the job im doing which is why I have bored you all with my recent medical history. This has spurned me to better myself and I am considering starting a CCNA. I am totally unaware of how to go about it so I will be spending much time on here finding out how. The OU do a course for £740 but that doesnt include the exam which I have to arrange myself, is this good value?
    Is there anyone on here in a similar position or who has done the CCNA who could advise on how to go about it? I dont necessarily expect a reply as im going to spend the next few hours finding all this out myself but some tips would be nice.

anyways nice to see you all and hopefully I will get to know some of you soon.

:)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: not decided yet
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Have you thought about self study, also I would get some proper basic grounding in Networks before doing CCNA about the N+?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's quite a jump going from PC tech to network administrator. Have you considered working your way up the career ladder by getting a system administrator or senior desktop support position? Without networking experience and a bit of Cisco experience, the CCNA won't do you a great deal of good.

Like GBL advised, have you considered doing the Network+? I'd also recommend the MCDST.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:biggrin, another advocate for self study and considering your experience level and aspiration for networks I'd say start with the Network+ exam.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. leeroy

leeroy New Member

Thanks for the advice, ive been looking around and I agree im not ready for CCNA at all.
    I suspect I will go down the Network+ route and perhaps work towards an MCSA. Then I may consider starting CCNA.
    This forum has paid off already.

Cheers :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: not decided yet
  6. greenbrucelee

Before doing the MCSA make sure your actually working in IT first as you should have at least 6 months or experience.

Good luck with N+

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum leeroy.

Also, and i hate to say it.. you might find yourself kneeling down a lot supporting PCs and networks :wink:

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. greenbrucelee

Yep and opening desktop pc cases can make you bleed A LOT :blink

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not just 6 months of experience in IT... 6 months of experience doing network administration in a multi-site company with more than 250 users and at least 3 domain controllers: link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello and welcome.

I think you're right to study the network+ first to gain a better understanding of networking before the CCNA:biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I have plenty of bumps and bruises mainly on my head when rummaging around under users desks, following network cables to where I think they are plugged into, great fun especially when the floors and are really grubby and dusty, many a time, my black trousers have turned grey at the end of the day :D

Welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009