Thinking about taking ITIL v3...

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by craigie, Dec 16, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have been having a look around and am thinking about learning towards a 'different' exam whilst on Jury Service.

Having read several posts on ITIL and doing a bit if research (the book is less than 200 pages according to Amazon), is it possible to knock this out in a couple of weeks whilst on Jury Service?

Just to let you know that I used to Manage Projects and did this consistantly for a period of four years. Projects that I have been in charge of and implemented are:

- BACS Bureau implementation (company was in the top 10% of Direct Debit transactions in the UK, and we recieved the highest possible status accrediation)

- Continuity Disaster Business Recovery Plans ensuring that company could relocate and provide all infrastructure and services within 24 hours to clients.

- ISO:9001 accreditation for company.

- Information Security Management Policies, to ensure compliance with all contracts including high net worth local authority contracts.

So I'm thinking this would be a walk in the park, or am I missing something?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'd say it depends how good you are at remembering definitions. The foundation level doesn't really test anything applied to real life situations, is quite "dry" to read and very "wordy" in that the definitions are quite long winded.

From what I've see/read/done most of the people who self study seem to scrape a pass whereas those who go on a 3 day course seem to have less trouble for some reason.

Coming from a service/support background I could see how it all hung together but that didn't really help me with exam questions.

It's generally reckoned that you'll need 20-40 hours to study for it depending on how well you can remember stuff.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I self-studied & passed the ITIL v3 Foundation exam in a week. Like UKD already said:

You can read my post about my pass here and UKD post about his pass here :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Here are some notes i posted
    and if you're good at abbreviations, memorise these bad boys!

Hope this helps.

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for all the info guys.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback guys it has been really helpful. I think this will be the exam to add to the collection during my Jury Service.

To be honest, I'm getting a bit bored of the MS exams, and thought this would be helpful on my CV.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Kitkatninja

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

9. Kitkatninja

However you can sit them with Vue testing centres now :)

-ken

10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

(sorry, we're drifting off topic here)

So even tho BCS site says if you self study you sit a "public" exam, you can still use local testing centre via Vue ? They don't make that very clear on the website

11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

and you think ITIL gonna be exciting?

MS exams is like having Beer, Women and S*X, more Women and more S*X all in one night compared to ITIL, which is like, just having a fag (as in ciggie) alone, in the dark, bored out of your brain and counting sheep, not even sleeping with them!

[​IMG]

12. Kitkatninja

Mate, I think you're making the ITIL more exciting than it really is :twisted: :lol:

But apart from that, I would stronly recommend going for it. I've been to a IT interviews* and ITIL aways seems to pop up :)

-Ken

*it does depend what kind of interviews - I've been to several IT manager interview and majority of them want some sort of ITIL cert, I've also been told from them that the techie's/support personnel need to at least have ITIL knowledge, with the cert being desirable.

13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

LOL.

I'm thinking that sitting in a room waiting to be called in for Jury Service, will give me some time to work on something.

Don't think we would be able to have Laptops in there, so thought I could read ITIL to pass the time :twisted: