1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thinking about a new carear in i.t

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by piers2002, Aug 2, 2009.

1. piers2002

piers2002 New Member

hello

my name is piers Ive just registered on here today. when i left school i left with quite good grades none in i.t though . i completed a 3 yr apprenticeship in car mechanics after i got made redundant this year i am struggling to get back into the trade and i didn't particularly like the job after 4 years anyway. so i got a phone call the other day off computrain offering me an training course in i.t . after seeing the price tag and seeing so much bad feedback about the company i turned him down . Any way it got me thinking that i would like to train for a career in i.t. basically i don't know what sort of jobs there are out there and how i would train or anything i am completely new to it all . i would like to do something hands on with hardware etc as well as the sat at the desk sorting out software side of things . any advice in witch jobs to have a look at training for would be much appreciated . can any one point me in the right direction and if i do get trained up. what do people think the chances of me getting a job at the end are ?
    thank you

2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

You could always try to get an IT apprenticeship, the same way you did it with car mechanics. Apart from the the entry level/tier 1 certs would include the A+, Network+ and the MCDST. However if you want a job in IT, just keep applying for any entry jobs that you see regardless if you have IT qualifications or not :)

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. saints

saints New Member

davey l admire u a lot so much postins.waoh u ve been here 4 long.pls l need u 2 help me with materials 2 enable me well 4 ccna exams. l likewise need ur candid advice.thank u say hello 2 others in forum 4 me:eek:

Admin Edit: no TXT talk please, proper English

4. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/T...on-and-Communication-Technology/IT-Users.aspx

That site also has a vacancy matching system and I have seen quite a few I.T Apprenticeships in my area. I have never done an apprenticeship but the main thing about it is that it'll get you a job and hands on experience, which employers value more than a qualification.

You could have a look in the yellow pages and ask local I.T companies to take you on as an apprentice.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Who's Mr Davey?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Maybe it's me?

Can't think why tho...

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Could be.

Blimey, it's a bit random isn't it?

:eek:

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hmmm doughnuts :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Wooo 100th post! i am now valued as a member! :biggrin

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Maybe that's what it means?
    Someone else is pleased that you've made it to 100 posts too!

:biggrin

11. piers2002

piers2002 New Member

thanx for the advice i will try the website tomorow it says down for maintence today :(