The worst users to support

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by simonp83, Feb 15, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When you get stereotyped, don't come whining to me, mate. :dry

You say you're "just kidding"... but you had that adage going through your head for a reason.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

There are some very good teachers but a lot of them i deal with on a day to day basis entire planet collapses around them if their electronic register doesn't work, teachers aren't what they used to be and rely far too much on videos on youtube or fancy science applications to do all the work for them. This isn't all teachers but a good portion of the people i deal with.

The nice ones to deal with in school tend to be the support staff as they're the ones that aren't as stressed out or as critical of people.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I found a lot, not most of the teachers I worked with whilst at the High School had a chip on their shoulder. Like going to college and then university and then doing the teaching course which amounts to a single year gave them a superiority, despite the fact hundreds of thousands every year go and do multiple degrees, not just whatever suits them and then a teaching one. Then there was the NQTs who genuinely had no common sense what so ever and quite obviously had jumped in head first and done nothing but go through the education system only to be spat out in the deep end.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...I understand that, but if you go into the situation with the adage, "Those who can't, teach", you're going to automatically have a negative opinion about them... and it's not entirely justified.

Doctors are hard to deal with too. So are lawyers. So are CEOs. So are administrative assistants. So are sales people. So are IT techs... particularly those who feel they are superior to teachers. They're frequently rude, often condescending, and most of them are antisocial. They're never around when you need them, and when they're around, they're usually playing World of Warcraft on the network.

Get my point yet? Or do you need more bad stereotyping examples? The stereotypes I threw out there are no more justified than yours, mate.

I seriously doubt that "a lot" of them feel their world revolves around them... or that they're any different than they "used to be". You've barely been around long enough to know what "used to be" is.

Just sayin... be careful when you guys throw around stereotypes. You're far more often on the receiving end of those stereotypes, so don't dish it out unless you don't mind taking it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Have to say the worst ones have there own IT Department who use us for anything they can't fix.

They break stuff and then deny ever doing it, if they had been straight with us from the start then I could have saved myself an hour resolving an issue which involved Site to Site VPN's across ADSL, MPSL, Citrix and Printers.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

PA's are generally the ones that cause me the biggest headache. Always want something done now, no appreciation of SLA's, or the fact that their local printer isn't working is not a P1 issue when they have another printer 5 yards down the hall.

7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I've seen that quote quite a bit in comedy programs here in the UK, I'm sure it wasnt a slant at any trainers here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SdI9mhcCQM

I think generally I'm pretty lucky (or have a happy disposition) and most of my users I get on with, ah saying that just though the really annoying ones are our remote users who as there jobs are elected members (of a certain age) they generally dont understand what we tell them no matter how basic we get and expect us to drive out to them at the drop of a hat. "What do you mean I need to change my password I've already changed it not two months ago, I dont want to!" yada yada, cue long talk about security and them not having a choice.

Again most of them are fine just the odd one or two that brings an "Oh No" response when their number flashes up on the telephone, very nice just clueless.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Mine was actually a joke....

The gf is a primary teacher so a) my survival relies on me not dissing teachers :p and b) I know how much paperwork and pain is involved in teaching (at least in this country). Fairly certain she'd rate parents as the worst people she has to deal with, not all of them but:

a) those who believe thats its all the teachers fault their child turned out to be a bastard when any punishment the teacher hands out is counteracted by them rewarding the little sod for it.

b) those who refuse point blank to do something which would help their childs learning (which I'm sure many of our parents didn't have to be asked to do when we were young) like reading with them.

Education in this country is fairly heavily screwed but most of it isn't actually the fault of the teachers, so many parents treat teachers as a kind of glorified child minder whose job it is to raise their kids because they either don't have time or can't be arsed.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. westernkings

Or the ones that go "Why is my child only predicted a C when they got a level 5 in primary" when the reality is they actually got a 3A or something haha.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Bloody levels.... the QCA/LEA here failed to produce assessments for local schools this month so just told teachers to use the one from 3 years ago, which is on topics they haven't actually studied yet/have only spent about a week on.

genius.

Needless to say each and every child has dropped at least 2 sub levels. Some up to 5, which considering she took over teaching them in January makes my gf look like a seriously ****e teacher despite having managed to get a child with the mental age of a 4 year old counting up to a 1000 (couldn't count to 20 before).

11. westernkings

I probably can't count up to a 1000 ... Never had to try. :D

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It's easy.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, many, many 1, many 2, many 3, many 4, many 5 , many many, many many 1, many many 2..........:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's got to be blameless users:
    'It just moved on it's own.'
    'Someone's put it in a different folder.'
    'It usually works when I do it that way.'

Or even worse, users that blame you:
    'Why have you changed my password?'
    'Why did you delete my files?'
    'What have you done to my laptop? It's going really slowly today.'

And directors:
    'This laptop isn't powerful enough. I've got some really big Excel spreadsheets.'
    'I can't work with just a normal phone, I need a Blackberry.'
    'We must have a cast iron disaster recovery strategy. Not that one, it's too expensive.'
    'The broadband package you put us on is no good because you chose it. The one I like is better.'

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Love these ones, thankfully I avoid having to provide support for our directors (we've got a slightly odd company structure).

Had an 'It usually works when I do it that way.' recently though which actually revealed that every member of staff in one department used a different method to pick up a call on hold... because each phone was programmed slightly differently by the inept engineer who set them up (we're no longer working with that telecom support company).

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

My favorite was someone effing and blinding at me that we'd done something to her PC that stopped her printing.

Bang, crash, bursts into office.

'What have you done! It was working fine earlier!'

Turns out the printer was out of paper... :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

One of our customers has this real menace of woman. She thinks she is the bees knees, not just generally but a real I.T guru.

She often offers advice to fellow co-workers and causes general chaos and agro further down the line.

Her favourite thing is to submit password resets for people to check their e-mail or set out of office. She is not interested in being educated the preferential way of doing things because she know everything. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  17. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I love dealing with the users, the nice ones and the not-so-nice ones - I don't think any annoy me anymore, just amuse me:

- PA's - all the times I've heard "my boss is a <super-superior-top-person-executive>" has not made me once jump to attention because most of the time I know this boss and actually they couldn't give a toss either way as they have more important things to worry about. I know this for sure, so take much enjoyment out of telling the PA's as such...... puts them back in their boxes quickly enough.

- things move by themselves - had a woman recently who had a shortcut that didn't work any more, trying to get her to read out the shortcut was difficult so I directed her to e-mail it to me - I read my e-mail out at least 6 times, even spelling my surname phoentically (my surname is pretty straight forward) and she still didn't get it (considering the environment I work in, this should have been instinctive for her!). In the long run, someone had changed a folder name - she said no-one else had access to it - checking the permissions I told her that everyone on the entire system had access to it and could have changed it..... again, silence fell upon her!

- the biggest PITA user I've come across and she's well known for this! There is a maintenance company that does the fibre/cat5 infrastructure for us, but not directed nor controlled by us, and they had yanked this users Cat5 from her desk. She called us, we attended, told her we could do nothing and she needed to speak to these other people...... my colleague was with her, whilst she moaned at him (which it wasn't even anything to do with us, before or after the event), moaned at 3 different people on the telephone even before she spoke to the right person. My guy came back absolutely drained and was determined never to have to speak to her again....... a pounding for 30 minutes for absolutely nothing.... poor man!

Fun, fun, fun :D 8)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

We have to tolerate some people who start e-mail addresses with www. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  19. j33rablade

j33rablade Bit Poster

We have a name for these guys: PICNICS (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer)

Certifications: CCNA MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  20. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

....also known as 'Middle Managers'

:p

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...