The Why Is It Post?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by craigie, Feb 10, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thought I would put this up for a few giggles.

The point of this post is to put forward little rants or perhaps even 'worldly' observations about subjects.

I'll start with the following revelation:

Why is it that when we get older, we get hairer?

PS Please no posts from Wiki I really dont want to be reading about hair follicles :blink

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Its not that we get hairier but that out skin shrinks so the hairs look longer. Its teh same explanation as to why peoples hair seems to grow for a while even after death, the scalp shrinks as it dries out making the hair appear to grow.

Ok so Why is it that when i lose something, i always find it in the last place i look?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Why is it that food that is good for you tastes bad and food that is bad for you tastes good?

OK that appears to be a bit of a tongue twister!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Because when you find it, you stop looking for it :)

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  5. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

Why is there no alternative word to Thesaurus.

Certifications: HNC Computing
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Why does the hair on your head keep growing, whereas hair in other places gets to a certain length and stops?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If this is true then the inside of my ears and nose, and the skin underneath my eyebrows, have shrunk considerably in the last few years.
    Not that I'd object to having a smaller nose and ears.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

Here's one I've always wondered, why is it that there are some words that are "bad". What is it that makes a swear word a swear word. Why can't we just accept all words as neutral? there are no "good" words:blink

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  9. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Why if jesus was born on the 25th of december, new year is 7 days later?

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

For a start, he wasnt born on the 25th of December. He was born midyear. His birthday celebration was moved to be more in line with the pagan festival of yule, in order to assist conversion to the Christian faith.

Why is it that, when a goods are transported by sea, its cargo, but when transported by road, its shipment?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

My favorite has always been - why is abbreviation such a long word???

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And way back when - new year wasn't Jan 1st. In some places it was April 1st. The UK tax year is a hold-over from then.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

who decided that the phrase to describe a speech impediment, should contain a sound most sufferers would be unable to pronounce?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I've often wondered why some people believe that if a train has stopped in between stations, huffing and sighing and tutting loudly will get it moving again

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  15. Silverfox

Silverfox Bit Poster

Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?

16. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

What really did come first, the chicken or the egg...

17. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Does it not then? :blink

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  18. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Afraid not, but rattling your newspaper in a disgruntled fashion and muttering apparently works

19. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

There are technically 'good' words. You can swear at someone, and what makes it a swear word (IMO) is the fact that you are using the word to offend. There are a lot of construction-related terms that are non-offensive, but can be construed as such.

A "good" word (you may think of it along the lines of having a 'good word to say about someone') is a word that possibly cannot in any way be construed as derogatory - beautiful, for example :)

Just my two cents.

I always wondered about the trains thing. So I started driving. Then I started wondering why so many idiots just sit in the middle lane, no matter what speed they seem to be driving at. However, in recent months they have all started migrating to the outside lane. So I can finally undertake them without it being an offense, as I'm going with the 'flow' of traffic :rolleyes: (can you tell how much I like commuting?)

I have a lot of 'why is it that's...' but they'd probably all cause arguments on here so I'll keep them to myself :oops:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  20. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I used to do a 60 mile round trip to work using the M3 and M4. Thing is, I used to drive in the middle lane all the time, simple reason, driving tests never give you any instruction on the 'right' way of motoway driving. I had no idea you wasn't actually supposed to drivie in it. I often wondered why people would drive past shouting and waving their fingers. It was only when someone pointed it out to me that I realised I had been shame driving for bloody ages!