The volcano issue - had to share this

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UKDarkstar, Apr 18, 2010.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Wow - look at this guys :

http://www.swisseduc.ch/stromboli/perm/iceland/eyafallajokull_20100416-en.html?id=3

What an incredible photo !

Blows my mind when you see the sort of thing nature can do ! :eek:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Nice photo!

Mate of mine is stuck in Europe at the moment! He's having a difficult time trying to sort out a different way to get back to the UK. Seems that he can easily book train tickets all the way to Eurostar in Belgium (I think), however, the Eurostar website crashes when he tries to make a reservation! Guy is pulling his hair out at the moment!

Oddly, Gordon Brown has kept very quiet about all of this! Would have thought he could have made some symbolic effort to score some extra votes? Perhaps make this his very own Dunkirk? Get all the brit holiday makers to head for the beaches of Dunkirk where the Royal Navy will be waiting for them! Should be a piece of p1ss this time round as we don't have the Luftwaffe to worry about anymore!

Crikey...I don't half talke some sh1te!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

my mate was on his way back from Barc, sounds he he had it relatively easy considering
    flight to Paris CDG, then 4 trains to get to Calais, then a wait for a ferry he could get on, then a cab back from Dover to London with 4 randoms sharing :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

I had a terrible weekend, flew back to the UK on Wednesday evening to meet some mates and we were all set to go to New York the following morning, here is how it went:
    Thursday - Drove to Manchester to catch our connection to London Heathrow, all flights cancelled, phoned Heathrow and our New York flight was still fine. Picked up a hire car from the airport and drove like a lunatic to London, missed checkin by 10 minutes! All flights were cancelled after that. Instead we had a day out in London and stayed in a hotel.
    Friday - Tried to get a hire car to drive home, went to 3 different offices, none had any cars. Went to the train station, all trains were ridiculously expensive but we managed to find a hire car place that had something, it took almost 7 hours to drive home because of traffic.
    Saturday - Booked my flight from Manchester to Brussels for Sunday evening, about 10 minutes after booking I received a text saying it was cancelled! Then had to pay another 300 euros to book a train from Blackpool to London (3 hours) then catch the eurostar back to Brussels (2 hours)
    Sunday - Set off at 10am arrived in Brussels at 5.30pm had to get a taxi to the airport to pick up my car from the airport, finally made it home at 7pm.

Painful!

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ that sounds f***ing soul destroying mate

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Should of driven to Gibralter for a drink :D

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You may have been joking, but they are talking about using the Royal Navy to help to get people back.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

It was mate, I was a broken man yesterday evening! Saying that if I had of made the flight i'd still be in New York probably potless by now and getting in trouble for not being at work.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  10. Ubergeek

Ubergeek Bit Poster

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSE 2K3
    WIP: VCP, MCSE 2K3 (Security)
  11. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

It is a logistical nightmare, or heaven if you like logistics.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  12. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

We've currently got 400 odd clients stranded in various parts of the world, our flights department are definitely earning they're pay. As are the reservations team who have been patiently explaining to clients all day that:

a) we don't know about holidays travelling next weekend yet, we don't know what'll happen during the week.
    b) It's not our fault a large chunk of Iceland exploded and we're organising alternatives and refunds where possible.
    c) The res staff are human, stressed and tired and yelling and threatening legal action (seriously) isn't going to help.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  13. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

for months?!?!? :eek: My brother and his friend are supposed to be flying over to go to the Edinburgh marathon in a few weeks. He was wondering about how long this could go on and I said oh that's weeks away surely it won't be an issue by then. Looks like I could be wrong!! Should be a fun trip my brother won't be running only his friend. After that they plan to travel around England a bit tour, a couple football stadiums and visit some of his friends family.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  14. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Is that 'Generally" speaking?:biggrin

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  15. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Modey, I was joking but was astonished to read in the papers that Dan Snow and his rich mates attempted a Dunkirk type rescue yesterday with loads of speedboats! Yes the Luftwaffe were not there to make things difficult but the French authorities made up for that by telling him and his mates to bugger off! But they allowed 25 UK peeps to go with them! Hilarious!!! Dan Snow apparently set up a rescue Website too...would have been great publicity had it worked!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...