The training camp

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by adamoliver, Mar 22, 2007.

1. adamoliver

adamoliver New Member

Hello, I have recently been looking into getting some IT certificates under my belt. I know there anty many ways of going about this, I've even been in touch with computeach but I'm not touching one of their courses.
    Anyhow Ive looking into self studying and thought that i may find it hard to be commited to that what with there being plenty of distractions in life. So Ive been in touch with other companies like Computeach and then a guy i know said his brother trained with "The ttraining camp". They have offered me this
    Training Camp for your CompTIA A+/Network+ education.
    - Please note we are offering a 20% discount off .
    So course is £2950.00 plus VAT,all inclusive, meaning you live there for a week and they feed you etc.
    Does anyone know if this is any good?

thanks

Adam.

Certifications: none
    WIP: none
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO 'training camps' are only worthwhile if you are familiar with most of the materials, and need a focused brush-up from people who are (supposedly) experts.

If you *don't* know the material then you may find yourself completely lost by lunchtime on the first day.

To cram the whole of 2 exams for A+ into a week needs *very* high speed presentations!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I agree with Harry on this. You do need a very high degree of commitment and certainly the knowledge before you tackle on of those courses. Try reading the books first and getting hold of an old PC to break and then mend.

Oh and welcome to the forums :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. adamoliver

adamoliver New Member

Thanks for the welcome and replies. I do have some prior experience in the way that I have co built two pc's, fixed them went parts have blown and added new parts/exspansions. Also general maintanence. You know the sort of problems you sort out with home pc's, ie viral recovery etc.
    Is this enough experience to consider one of these boot camp style courses?

Adam.

Certifications: none
    WIP: none
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

In my opinion, no. You'd be familiar with some of the terminology and concepts, but until you've experienced it in an actual real-world business environment, you wouldn't be ready for a boot camp (and, in my opinion, when you HAVE experienced it in a real-world business environment, you won't have any need for a boot camp - simply self-study and you'll be good to go).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

go to comptia's website, download the objectives and have a good read of them... and then deicide whether you know your stuff, i thought i did when i started, but soon enough realised that i never.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No, two PCs isnt enough.

Best to buy a decent A+ book and perhaps a few old PCs and take it from there. Also if possible try and source some of the older operating systems. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum mate :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Howdy.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  11. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome to CF!:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house