The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Obinna Osobalu, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

That made me chuckle (and not in a nasty way). IMO, it's the writer's capabilities that make the story and the characters credible, loveable, hateable, and all other '-able' things.

JK's writing ability has to be something you are 'fussed' about in order to get her stories - subconsciously at the very least, you must think she's an able writer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Kind of odd.. have got the full OST but not seen the movie but actually the soundtracks alone is more than motivation enough

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Then obviuosly that and every other thing makes her a good writer... come on Arroryn cut her some slack here:D

4. Arroryn

I have cut her slack :) I've admitted she's sucessful, and she must do *something* right in order to have the fan base she does.

She's just not for me. Her characters are too weak (personality wise - I like strong female characters to front up a story normally) the story isn't mature enough (in its themes) and the way she writes isn't verbose enough for my liking.

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

JK does have a fairly basic writing style, but some people don't want to be challenged. :blink

Some of her content is quite clever. I read a book once which looked at the mythology and background to some of the names she uses and creatures she describes. It made interesting reading.

Her books are just simply tools to conjour up basic feelings within us, which is probably why they are popular, especially younger readers.

We all remember our schooldays (with the possible exception to some of our *more mature* members).
    Kids like eating - how many banquets and slap up suppers are in Harry Potter?
    Don't we all wish we could do magic?
    There is always a bit of excitement followed by a happy ending.
    There are always 'safe places'.
    A lot of emphasis is put on friendship and teamwork.

It's psychologically fairly basic.

But, IMHO, His Dark Materials is better...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Arroryn

For kids books, I would prefer the His Dark Materials books over Rowling.

The Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix is also quite good for teenage reading.

The first fantasy series I ever read was The Song of the Lionness series by Tamora Pierce - a young woman pursuing a dream to be a knight - who wants a more strong female character than that, at that age! (I think I was 9 or some such similair young age...)

Or, for less intense fantasy, pick up the Aching books by Terry Pratchett (Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky and the Wintersmith).

All superlative reads :)

7. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Gotta love you for this:hug...you :git; so to all folks this basically sums it all up for JK...:D

8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Funnily enough I picked up Lady Friday by Nix the other day.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  9. Arroryn

Nix is alright, isn't he :)

But back on topic - we seem to have royally hijacked the thread from Obinna.

For fans of JK - the thread is once again yours :offtopic

If anyone wants to start a fantasy fiction general thread, then I'd be more than happy to yap in there until the cows come home!

10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Please do it! Make it so!

I was going to hijack this a little more but I managed to refrain :P

*Edit* - I'll do it.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

There's nothing wrong with a basic writing style. Sometimes authors get "too fancy" and the reader finds themselves working harder to understand what's going on, taking away from the enjoyment of reading. The best type of writing is where the reader is totally enthralled in the story and not registering the "effort" it takes to read.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Like reading an MS Press book then! About as enthralling as eating wallpaper.

Great books but I wish to feck that the authors would cheer up a bit!! :blink

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Have to say I enjoyed reading the Harry Potter series, was some damn good chewing gum for the brain!

The series of books that I have enjoyed the most, which took an amazing 34 years from start to finish is the Dark Tower by Stephen King.

Absoltuely amazing, you can find the offical site here

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Those issues may have more to do with the requirements of the editors at Microsoft Press than the authors writing the books. The publisher can dictate the tone and style of the book to a very high degree. All of the authors of their books probably have really great senses of humor in real life. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+