The Safir-Simpson Scale

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Jun 18, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This is a cool little animation showing relative storm damage at each of the 5 levels of storm strength on the Safir-Simpson scale for rating hurricanes.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

wow! im pretty glad i live in a boring old climate like the uk now!

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

"Cool"? I'd call it scary! :eek:

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL I meant "cool" as in a way to see what happens without actually having to experience it yourself.

Yeah, a hurricane is a scary thing, but I'd much rather see its effects in an animation than in real life. I've been through a few storms with 100+ mph winds and watching picture windows flex a couple of inches and hearing trees in the neighborhood come down is a scary thing.

I didn't experience this myself as I didn't move to Oregon until a few years later, but used to do the refrigeration work for a tuna fisherman from Brookings, Oregon that rode out that storm at sea.

He knew it was coming and thought he could get out of port and outrun it, but was wrong. His anemometer blew away after it registered winds of more than 120 mph, and the downbursts of wind in that storm were so powerful that when they would hit, the 50-60' seas the boat was riding in would be blown flat and turned to green froth He said the wind was screaming so loudly through the wires of his tuna boat it took a couple of days before his hearing came back. His crew, of which none were religious men, were all on their knees praying. All of them thought they were dead men walking,

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Don't worry give it a few more years and you will start to see more storms in the UK.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009