The Problem with Online Shopping

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zimbo, Aug 23, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Like you all know im looking to order a lappy online... and i been reading laptop review after laptop review... then there is customer review after customer review.... NOW this is my question... i have been hearing all the negatives of all the shops i have looked at.. very few positives... but i thought to myself the nutter who is happy isnt going to come say im happy and it works... only the fools who have problems!

I have found an Acer AS1642ZWLMI.... 80GB 1,7ghz (Pentium M),1gb ram, DVD-rw and everything else i need and we looking at around 500 quid.... now i found it at 3 stores...

www.dabs.com
    www.shopacer.co.uk
    www.comet.co.uk

ALL three all i find is negative reviews! 24-7! so anyone care to help me out? Looks like a good lappy....

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

George,

The only thing i can fault Dabs for is their <stock status>. Out of about 15 items i have bought from them, 2 of them were showing in stock and actually weren't!

Other than that, i cannot fault them and they are very competitive. The best purchase was a set of Creative Speakers. I ordered them at 16:40 Monday afternoon and the Parcelforce man was knocking my door and 07:15 the next day!

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

As for reviews, their is a great magazine called Laptop review. This contains all the <hot> laptops, prices, reviews and where to go to get them.

Don't overlook the manufacturers site for returns, old models etc. Some even flog stock off cheaper with less warranty etc.
    I had a bargain on a Nikon Camera that was about to be renewed and also had cash back from Nikon!

Si

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks for the tips si... any other places you have good experiences with?

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

online edition? :biggrin

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

afraid not. I am sure they have a home page which informs you of all the juicy reviews. When you are in London, you can pop in to WH Smiths and read things like that for free :tune
    While deciding to buy of course....

8. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

the only thing i dont like about shopping online is the next door neighbour. They get their shopping from tesco, delivered, and i think to be honest thats lazy. The slogan on the van says 'look weve had our shopping brought to us by tesco' surely there should be another slogan saying ' cos were too FU%$#NG lazy to go out of the house and get it

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Spec,

Call me lazy, but i would rather pay less for something from a reputable retailer, and have it delivered to my address than waste 2 hours driving and queing up in a boiling hot shop.

Just my 2p

Si

10. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I can beat that.

I ordered a 19 inch monitor from DABs one evening at 11:40, then went to bed. At about 7:30 I was awoken by it being delivered. :D

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

So dabs is good??? :D

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Wow! that is impressive.
    I think the effeciency of the big players must be having an effect on the high street shops.
    I only high street shop for food and clothes. I was recently shocked that literally every shop was having a <must go>, <60 off>, <old stock sale>, <closing down> etc.
    I remember going <shopping> most weekends with my mum when i was in school and i only seem to recall a sale after Christmas.
    I remember thinking to myself <how can they do it> When i looked at the tracker it showed as being collected from dabs at just after midnight. As in your case, you must have ordered before the Parcelforce lorry arrived.

So

13. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I'm with you Boyce.

Online shopping is one of the greatest things ever.

With electronics you get to shop around and find the best priced equipment, instead of only wandering into the shops near you to find they dont have exactly what you want, so you have to settle or go elsewhere.

With food, I love it. The old way you wander into a supermarket with a list, fill the trolley up, queue up for ages then have to pack it all, take it home and then put it all away.
    Online... you can save your favorites so if you have the same thing every week you just have to click a button or two, add the treats (beer, beer, crisps, chocolate, whisky and beer) and violla, two days later you have a full pantry.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Ludd,

Me to matey. When it comes to computers/electronics people look at you if you are an alien when you quote model numbers etc. I don't put it down to being a geek, but having read reviews etc. know what i want.
    Too many people walk in to wherever and let some sixteen year old Saturday boy tell them what they need! :twisted:

Si

15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ah guys! :tune :offtopic :biggrin

Dabs? si that lappy you showed me is one of the cheapeast 80gb 1gb on the market... but like you guys have said dabs seem ok dont they?

16. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Sorry, im not knocking online shopping as a whole as even i know how much cheaper it can be , as you said Boyce, for elctrical goods etc.

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Spec- don't worry mate, you are entitled to your opinion.

Zimbo- Yes Dabs are a good retailer.

Si

18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Dabs are very good, but I don't stay loyal to one online store, if they don't have an item in stock I will go to another supplier, I won't hang around waiting for stuff to come back into stock.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009