The other side of the coin

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by C172, May 14, 2006.

1. C172

C172 New Member

I have been interested to read some of the posts here particularly ones relating to the problems of finding the first IT job when perhaps you have little or no experience to go with the new MCSE or any hard earned accreditation.
    I find myself on the opposite side of the fence. I run a small but successful and expanding IT support / outsourcing company which has got to the point where we need another member of staff.
    Firstly our natural inclination is to hire someone we already know and trust - naturally they come at a price which we can only afford if we win more business after we hire them. This is quite a risk for us financially.
    Alternatively we advertise and look for someone who maybe has just gained a MCSE and wants the challenge and experience working in a company like ours. The big downside for us is we have built our business on reputation and recommendation. Any new employee - particually one that is previously unknown to us has the potential to dent our reputation which has been buit up over many years.
    I guess there is frustration on both sides - a potential employee desperate to be given the opportunity to show their potential and an employer like us desperately looking for a trustworthy reliable and keen member of the team!
    Keep looking, because for every person looking for that opportunity there will be a company like ours prepared to give it to the right person.

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF.

I don't think there are any members here that have an MCSE and no real world experience. There are quite a few people with entry level certs like CompTia's A+ and Net+ etc.

I agree that it is always a gamble taking on new staff, that is why generally there is a trial period. Personally, I would never let a new member of staff be unsupervised for at least a couple of weeks, so that they can learn all the ropes and so that you can find out more about them. Usually there is a trial period during which the new employee has to meet the minimum expectactions of the new company. IMHO it is always a gamble, even if you hire a seasoned professional, you never really know how good a person is or how much they can offer your company until you take them on.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

We are currently looking for a new Network Support Engineer and we haven’t had anyone apply with an MCSE cert on their CV, where are they all? :blink

Part of the gamble for us is how a new member of staff will deal with our clients, being rude or unhelpful could cause some problems when it comes to contract renewals! :ohmy

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

This is an interesting difficult situation for both employer and potential employee alike. If a candidate's main selling point for the job is "I'm an MCSE" then they do not (IMO) deserve to be employed, as this portrays (to me) an arrogance that they are the best simply because they have a piece of paper.

Any potential employee, at the MCSE sort of level (regardless of whether they hold the cert or not) should have a proven track record at that level. Be they pieces of paper or written testimonials, or even demonstrated skills, a candidate worth employing would put more emphasis on their 'soft skills' than on what certs they hold. If someone comes across as arrogant, they probably are. If someone comes across as passionate, they probably are willing to take on the challenge and do well at it.

Some ways that people get around facing issues like this is to Promote from within, people lower down the ladder and already familliar with the organisation can often make better long term appointments than bringing someone in from outside. It is also easier and cheaper to replace a lower level person than a higher one. Additionally it shows those lower down in the company that if they work hard they can make the step up.

8)

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

It is good to see the *other side of the coin*. Seriously, the employment forum is usually people who are looking for jobs, so it makes a nice change :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The real trick is not to employ someone who can pose a challenge to you, either in their knowledge, ability, or quite frankly, good looks.
    If you always employ a muppet, you will ultimately win out.

Now, the last guy I took on was a total shambles, quite frankly.
    You should see him!
    On his first day...
    he...
    um...

Hang on, I'll get my coat...

:twisted: :wink:

JK - obviously.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Basil Boyce at your service...

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. C172

C172 New Member

Sparky

I couldn't agree more. It only take one person to be rude or unhelpful to undo years of good work with a client.

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hey Sparky, how much are you paying? Can I telecommute? If you could re-route all the phone calls to me it'd be no problem. Believe it or not I can sometimes speak english.

Seriously though, what qualifications are you looking for and more importantly what are poeple putting on their CV's? Might this be a chance for some that have MCSA but not quite at the MCSE stage?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

The last (also first & only upto now!!) IT position I interviewed for, I absolutely aced the interview. Read up on the company, had questions prepared, looked good (modest, ain't I?) and I blew them away with my problem solving and customer service skills. And still I didn't get the job. Spoke to the company secretary and asked him if it was possible to get some feedback and basically it looks like they've hired someone that although they had the customer service skills of a brick in a sock, had more experience in IT than I did. They've still got my details on file and seemed surprised that I actually contacted them to thank them even though I'd been knocked back so, you never know, I might get a second shot at the company...

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA