The Missing SMTP

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Phoenix, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Recently noticed that as our ISP is MSN (dont ask, i didnt pick it) they dont provide SMTP mail services, due to them just giving everyone @hotmail or @msn email addys, this is all well and find for me recieving mail, but not for sending it! (argh)

Anyone have any hints on setting up an SMTP relay on my linux box using postfix or sendmail (the simpler the better please), i dont need anything fancy, just a secure non open SMTP relay to forward my mails

Thanks

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First of all, let me just say that I have no idea. Beyond that, you're telling me that you can't use Outlook or Outlook Express (or any other e-mail handler) when you're with MSN??? :eek:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

basicaly the ISP has no SMTP server, so your stumped for outbound mail, i can still collect all of my pop3 email from various accounts
    but to send out i would need an smtp server somewhere, which usually an ISP has (something like smtp.msn.com) alas there is no such thing ive been informed hehe

4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but II have an MSN/Hotmail account and I use Outlook Express to both send AND recieve my emails.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I think your ISP must have an smtp server, Derek. What Ryan is talking about is that his ISP is MSN. One of the local carriers here, Qwest provides relatively inexpensive DSL service using MSN as the ISP. Apparently, the ISP expects users to use either MSN or Hotmail webmail accounts for their e-mail services. You can have an MSN account separately from your ISP and it certainly won't affect using Outlook to send and receive your e-mails as long as your ISP is running pop3 or IMAP and SMTP servers. At least that's my understanding.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Ryan, Have a look at the following:

www.postcastserver.com

That was a fix we put into place whilst migrating some of our servers a while back. Never used it, but it might be along the lines of what your after.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Cool, Gav. 8)

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

after talking to jak for a few mins about his server cluster, i was directed to Surgemail and discovered they do a Linux server with a free liscence for home users

had it up and running and sending emails in under 90 seconds!! well gone Gav, thanks for the pointer, i will continue to look through its documentation and configurations re locking it down etc :)

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

CAUTION [​IMG] Armadillo basking in public Glory [​IMG]

No probs, Ryan - it's a nice piece of kit, and pretty versatile too. [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity