The joy of Dynamic IP address

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by gbhpboy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. gbhpboy

gbhpboy Bit Poster

My objective is to set up my own Exchange 2003 server on my own LAN at home.

AD is installed and all the software is installed and patched up to current levels and it bascially works, email flows nicely except as you may guess receiving external email from external sources, such as hotmail addresses.

I've got a lovely new Netgear router which works a treat, with a Firewall and I've set all the firewall rules up to allow email, HTTP, POP, IMAP, SMTP etc to get through.

The problem is that my ISP just doesn't do static ip addresses at all, so by the time I've registered the dynamic IP address on easyspace.com, and it's propogated through the web, the ISP has given my nice router a new IP address, typically this is about every 3 or 4 days, even if I leave the router permanently switched on.

Has anyone any experience with a product like TZO.
    http://www.tzo.com/MainPageServices/ProductDetailedDescriptions/2PremierTzoService.html

would this help ? I'm not quite sure I can see how this works, because I still want easyspace.com to host my web site.
    I do like my ISP BTW, and am locked into a 18 month contract with them, or would change that.

Thanks

Certifications: MCSA2003(Messaging)
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I know a few people that have used http://www.dyndns.com/ , no complaints so far 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. gbhpboy

gbhpboy Bit Poster

Thanks Sparky, very useful, looks just what I need

I have just signed up for this, will let you know how I get on.

4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I have a dyndns name, never had a problem, except my account keeps expiring as myISP never (or very very rarely) gives me a new IP, so I have to keep registering.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

use this client then my friend, when you ip changes, it automatically updates the database...

6. gbhpboy

gbhpboy Bit Poster

Thanks for all your help guys ...

went with dyndns and things are now all working, it worked very nicely behind my NAT box.

got email flowing in now a treat, and got a new .com address into the bargain.

Also got remote desktop working though the new domain name, so that an added bonus, as well as installed the dns update client.

yet again, this forum delivers the goods :D

7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

just to add, if your isp hasn't changed your ip and you are using the client, your dyndns will still expire after xx amount of days... what you will have to do in this case, is force update, i think you right click the client, if not, its in one of the options anyway, or you can just schedule it aswell...

I found this to be super useful...