the journey starts here....

Discussion in 'A+' started by glytch, Aug 6, 2005.

1. glytch

glytch Nibble Poster

ok, I introduced myself in the newbies area,
    got some advice
    decided to do an A+ first by studying at home
    Getting my first learnkey video tomorrow morning
    getting my mike meyers book the next day
    should be ok to earn 50K+ by next month?

lol

I'll be needing to pop in here and ask many a question over the next few months methinks ;)

Andy

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That's what we're here for, Andy. Ask away. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. glytch

glytch Nibble Poster

thanks m8!
    my original order for the mike meyers book fell through but now I have got it, and today after all my years of being the first person my friends call when they have a pc problem - I learnt what the northbridge really is! lol

I have got all learnkey video cd's and today I managed to get the codecs working so the screen doesnt go funny.

I have noticed the book goes into much more detail for each section and I find it helpful to do the video chapter and then follow that up with reading the book and doing the test, there's still a fair bit of the book to go though :-/

I just wish there was a way to put the book in my pocket so I could read it elsewhere, hmmm, sounds like another project to half finish (scan in pages to pdf and recode video to fit on my pocket pc) :-)

Andy

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good luck with your studies, Andy. Oh...as far as taking the book with you...get a bookbag or day pack. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good luck on your journey up the often treadded path of IT certification!!! :biggrin

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You not on £50k yet Andy - you've had long enough by now ....:biggrin

<removes tongue from cheek> Good luck m8 :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

Hi Andy,

I am starting out on the A+ as well. Have ordered Mike "Le God" Myers's All in 1 and Lab Manuals books and waiting for them to arrive. I was considering the LearnKey videos/DVDs. They sound good and I have read favourable comments about them on various websites. What do you think of them? Useful? Worth the money?

I also saw an advert in my local paper concerning college short courses starting this month. There are two of interest to me, "PC Building and Upgrading" and "PC fault diagnosis and servicing". They are BTEC modules that when combined with others become part of a larger course. It involves hands-on classroom training with equipment to hand. Each course last 3 weeks, 2 nights per week and each session lasts 3 hours. [am waiting for confirmation of these details] I know it is not lots of time but I reckon this will provide some useful experience that will dovetail quite nicely with much of the A+. I can then go back and fill in the gaps myself. Each course costs £125.

It might be useful to see if a college near you does something similar, after all it is the beginning of the new academic year and such courses will be starting soon.

Have fun.

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+
  8. glytch

glytch Nibble Poster

Thanks guys! It's been quite interesting so far so it hasn't felt like studying, more like an in depth PCPro magazine ;)
    Lol! I hope I haven't jumped the gun by ordering my Ferrari ;)
    good luck to you too then,
    to answer your question, the videos are quite good but I find they are quite thin compared to the book, for example, the chapter on CPU's in the book is quite large and the end of chapter review questions ask things like what are the size of the address bus and data bus on a pentium II chip..

Seeing as the discs cost me nothing then I think they're great value for money, eek, a quick search reveals they are worth over 300 squids! not sure about that then.

the video as far as I recall doesn't mention things like the width of the data bus (the book does in detail!).
    I haven't seen much in the way of practice exams so I don't know if those sort of questions are going to pop up but it made me suprised to see it!

As for the college courses, time and money play an evil role in killing that idea coupled with the fact I used to work in an IT learning centre and watched some of the so called "pc maintenance" classes and was not impressed but thats probably because i have been building them for years and I have had the A+ book for a week so obviously I know it all now. :twisted:

Finished the CPU's chapter and now moving on to the RAM chapter.. (desperately trying to think of a Buzz lightyear'eske catchphrase here but failed....:) )

toodle oo
    Andy

Tech Support is Just A Busy Signal Away...

9. ferenczyp

ferenczyp Bit Poster

I want to start the self-study as well. I don't know which book would be good for me. The A+ Certification All-in-one Exam Guide (All-in-one Certification S.) or Mike Meyers' Network+ Certification Passport (Passport S.) . So I'm not sure about this. I was learning computing in the secondary school for 4 years, so..... Any idea? Which one?

Certifications: Noyhing :-(
    WIP: A+ starting soon
  10. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

I'd go for http://shop.osborne.com/cgi-bin/osborne/0072229918.html personally @ around £33

I see the passport as more of just a revision guide myself? Not sure what anyone else thinks?

S

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

All-in-one all the way, IMHO :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. ferenczyp

ferenczyp Bit Poster

All right. I'm going to buy that one! And then, the next step. Hmmm... What is that? How will I know if I'm ready? How can I test my self?

Certifications: Noyhing :-(
    WIP: A+ starting soon
  13. glytch

glytch Nibble Poster

Having both the video's and the book, I would have to say the book roks! and seeing as I didnt pay for the videos, they rock too but the book is top rocker! ;)

the videos are like an abridged version of the book with added waffle.

Andy