The image Microsoft doesn't want you to see

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by drum_dude, Apr 21, 2010.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1266643/Microsofts-Chinese-workforce-tired-stay-awake.html

What do you think? If it were proper slave labour then would they be allowed to sleep on the job?

EDIT: thread title is from the Daily Mail article title.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

They are an outsource provider, it's not MS directly, now obviously it's a shame but it's not just MS that employ that particular company, but shock of shocks let's go for the most well known. Never mind the fact that Foxconn probably makes most of the system boards in peoples phones, games consoles and computers.

Foxconn produces the Mac mini, the iPod, the iPad, and the iPhone for Apple Inc.; Intel-branded motherboards for Intel Corp.; various orders for American computer manufacturers Dell and Hewlett-Packard; motherboards for UK computer manufacturer Zoostorm; the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 for Sony; the Wii for Nintendo; the Xbox 360 for Microsoft, cell phones for Motorola, the Amazon Kindle, and Cisco equipment but because people generally haven't heard of Foxconn they aren't the ones attacked by the Mail.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not surprised, I bet all large organisations/corporations have something like this in their closet (in one form or another/direct or indirect). Cost cutting, "streamlining", etc... Call it what you will, it's business...

:lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What the reporter won't tell you is that images like this are quite common in China. You see, in the afternoons, the Chinese take a rest break - xiuxi - where they just stop what they're doing and take a nap. I myself took a picture of some restaurant workers who, midway through shelling peas (or whatever veggie they were preparing), just laid down in a restaurant booth and crashed for a couple hours. I guess that means they were "slave labor" too? :rolleyes:

Not saying there's no slave labor in China... but this picture proves nothing except that the reporter is wholly ignorant of Chinese life. And if the reporters are aware, then shame on them for deliberately trolling. :x

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

sad thing is most of the people in those 'livable factories' are very happy they have the opportunity, it's a far cry from the sweatshops they could be in, and the pay is good compared to other local options

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Yes...I was suspicious of the photo to be honest and the Daily Mail is one of those tabloid type papers that do enjoy bending the truth. However, I never knew about xiuxi!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. BosonMichael

Time article about xiuxi: link
    Another interesting article about xiuxi (and the differences between Eastern and Western culture): link

I hate to see intentionally misleading reporting like that. Sadly, it's happening more and more often.

Glad to shed some light, bro.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

I wonder if I can get my employer to adopt this practice?

Certifications: HND Computing
  9. BosonMichael

Absolutely. Cost of living is cheap there, too.

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I was expecting to see Bill gates humping a baboon :D

Work environments are common in countries like China and it isn't MS directly but one there subsiduaries.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Especially when you see this whole table asleep and workers at the other tables awake in the background.

As said, MS have been singled out because they are the most well known.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Heh, good one. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

:eek:

....thought he might have been using a Mac. Probably worse than the whole baboon image. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

humping a baboon who is using a Mac now that would be a good picture :D better stop this before I take it to a whole new level

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Totally agree. My empoyer sends work from the UK to all over the world. If you can get the same thing but for a fraction of the cost, companies are gonna go for it. Like Phoenix also said, it could be a good wage to them, for all we know a loaf of bread is a penny etc. Don't be shocked at them sleeping on the job either, in Japan its considered commitment if you work so hard that you need to take 15 minutes at your desk (seriously).

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  16. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

This + 1

Slave labour is thrown around a lot these days, you could say working for the British Minimum wage in a factory over here is slave labour compared to other jobs, in the same way that 34p or whatever it is over there is a pretty average wage.

And they do have organised naps.

It's not just large businesses, speak to the MAJORITY of businesses, that sell ANYTHING made ANYWHERE but the first world, and they are all "guilty" according to the daily mail. The DailyMail needs to speak to the hundreds of thousands of people in the US penal system sentenced to 50+ years for robbing a news agents that are churning out hundreds of millions of dollars worth of business if they want slaves :D

Good old fashioned tabloid spin doctoring. Bless.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  17. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

If you like I can photoshop something for you, I am quite the artist!!

I read in the article that they get a 10min break, to quote a line from Month Python's the Life of Brian, "The lucky, lucky bast**ds", what I would not do for a 10min break!!!

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  18. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

It is unfortunate that companies exist where labor causes them to do these crazy hours. I personally do not approve of this. At the same time, similar stories have been reported for many, MANY companies that are out in the wild (and with some disastrous results, such as suicides at Apple plants etc).

Microsoft is not as hardware based as some other companies per se (thus occurences of abuse overall may be lower), and so a lot of this won't apply, but even then I wouldn't like to see people driven to slave-like jobs, even if their situations are a lot "nicer" than at some other companies as was mentioned by our friend Phoenix.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  19. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Its the Daily Mail for crying out loud, I see more factual reporting in the local freebie paper produced by someone in his front room....

Best Daily Mail related quote from Mock the Week, adverts you'll never see on TV "The Daily Mail - Racist in public so you don't have to be"

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Whenever people get on their high horses about this sort of thing, it's always worth considering if the state of affairs isn't the fault of the western consumer in the first place.

Bet the hack that wrote it has at some point in his life grumbled about how much his Macbook cost him.
    Handy to forget about that when pumped full of ill-informed indignation.

And what I don't get is why MS always seem to get flack for this sort of thing.
    Apple (and others) use similar facilities and you very rarely see them dragged through the mud.
    Don't get me started on anti-compettive practices.
    We've all got iPods in the family, mine being the newest, and guess what, I can't use the third party charger that works on all the others. The blasted machine knows it's not an Apple branded charger and even tells you.

Anyone been watching the documentary series about Lagos on at the moment?
    I was hooked on the first episode. An entire community that actually exists in the city dump. They live there, get their hair cut, eat out, everything.

To earn their couple of pennies a day they do things like burn the plastic coating of electrical wire so they can sell the copper.

That's obviously only the ones that aren't related to the dead president/CEO/wealthy businessman.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD