The Happening

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Jun 13, 2008.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Movie Review here

All I will say is: dont get too excited about it. Watch my review and see it if you want...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It has got bad reviews in both the Telegraph and the Metro.

I'm not a film person, but the advertising has been near saturation on the Sky screens at the London rail termini, so I looked it up!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I dunno what M. Night is trying to accomplish now. his greatest work was without a doubt the Sixth Sense, then along came Unbreakable and the brilliant Signs. I still havent watched much of The Village but didnt seem too overjoyed with The Lady In The Water. If the guy knows he is good twists and such things he should stick to it...but I still cant understand what The Happening was exactly all about...

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I loved the village! It was a fantastic film.

I really dont agree with saying that he should stick to one thing if he knows hes good at it. Do you intend to stick with fixing and repairing pcs? or do you intend to try your hand at servers? programming? management? sales? anything else?

To paraphrase a saying (which i cant exactly recall): The way to success is through failure. Only by failing do we learn how to succeed.

M. Night wishes to expand his skillset. For a director the only way to do that is to try directing new things. Whats wrong in that? Sure, there are going to be flops, but he'll learn from it and either not do those genres, or get better at them.

For the record, hes hardly the first Director/Writer to produce gold and follow it up with ****e. I doubt he'll be the last either.

On the topic of the Happening, I too have heard bad reviews of it. Might just wait for it to come out on DVD before I see it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

M Night is one of the modern genius of films
    I have never watched one of his films that 'everyone' got, but that was never the point of them
    the Sixth Sense was by far the simpler of his films, perhaps that explains its acclaim? it seems far to many movies these days pander to a common denominator, a film is not bad just because you don't get it
    there have been a few films I have not 'got' first time round, and whilst it's a little frustrating it doesn't take away the enjoyment, in fact the enjoyment continues whilst I carry on trying to 'get' it after the film is over! :)

I look forward to seeing this and being baffled by it! the trailers haven't given up much lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I do agree with both you and Fergal...perhaps I was a little hasty in my last post. Dont get me wrong M Night is a fantastic director, and as u say Fergal, he is trying out new things. But it's like almost imagining Wes Craven doing romance movies and leaving horror flicks all together...not sure how he would do that lol...

But on a serious note, I know its good to try out new things and yes there will be failures...the question is can he accept those failures and then go one better next time round? I for one do have faith in Shyamalan that's for sure.

On the subject of not getting a film right in the first place, one film for me that did that was Donnie Darko. Only the second time round of watching it did I finally understand it...but some parts are still baffling...Fight Club was also the same. So I guess The Happening can be like that...difficult to understand but an interesting watch depending on who watches it...

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Donnie Darko is one of those strange films which sparks a hell of a lot of debate. Everyone has a specific view on what was happening in it, and its not entirely clear in the film which one is the correct view.

good film though. I like films like that.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

went to the review only to realize no speakers on my work pc
    was it a necessary part of the review to be topless.:ohmy

WIP: C++ and A+
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Look, im gonna tell u what i have told others...it doesnt matter if I am wearing a shirt or not just watch the video for the sake of the review...if it bothers you that much that I am topless then u dont have to watch it. Either way the video has accumulated over 1,400 views so one less wont make a difference to me.

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I liked Unbreakable, I realised the twist in the Sixth sense before it was reveald but I think M Night shamalamadingdong lost it with the village.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

My comment wasnt meant to offend was trying to point out that when i went to the review I was expecting something along the lines of tripwire45 type review not video, pointing out there were no speekers on the works pc's. If you want to sit there topless its fine by me I dont have A problem with it infact I sugest naked review whilst playing a piano monty pyton style would get thounsands of hits on utube:biggrin So sorry if I offended you.
    Martin

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

No need to apologise...its just the amount of comments I have gotten just on that one video about me being topless is ridiculous...but I have done some videos naked, but only one I have admitted to...lol...

When I do movie reviews its all about me saying what I felt about the movie and all that stuff...maybe next time I will do a bungee jump whilst reviewing a movie...lol...dangerous!! :biggrin

13. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Glad thats cleared up
    How about reviewing the new hulk film paint yourself green, Id do it but im sure i would get comments along the line of the incredible Bulk,:dry Cheers

14. somabc

somabc Bit Poster

Certifications: BSc MBCS
    WIP: MSc, PRINCE2, ITIL
  15. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Opps just noticed you have already done that one.:oops: