The Guide to Self-Study

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zimbo, May 19, 2006.

1. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

Hi Guys!

O posted back in November - Just to let you know i am waiting for my books to arrive from Amazon and then im gonna kick start in the New year. Once again just want to thank Zimbo!!

2. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

:D:psame as most these guys.i have just come to the conclustion that i want a career in I.T.this information is priceless.this is my first forum,and i joined today.its opened my eyes.there is actually nice descent people out there.they do not get paid for helping.just a passion....either for computers or just an interest to help people.good start to hopefully a better year.:biggrin:D

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  3. ak2006137

ak2006137 New Member

OMFG!!! i can't belive i stumbled into such a cheap solution.....unfortunately i am already with a training provider skillstain.co.uk and in terms of resources they arnt much help. you dont get all the course materials untill you have got past the first part of A+. i've been trawling through the net trying to find a study partner but to no avail.
    it's surprising they can take thousands of pounds of you and they probably pay less for the materials and also what the hell are they teaching?? (theyre not) they ripping ppl off i wouldnt be doing this course but my brother was doing the course and couldnt hack it so he asked me to do it instead so i kinda feel like even if i dont pass his lost over 2grand.

in terms of the course materials it doesnt tell you everything and the materials they give you date back to dinasour computers for example it doesnt say anything about the latest hardware or configs.

i'd suggest follow zimbo's rule, u loose less in the long term if u self study and hey if u fail the exam then u have only lost alittle bit of money, 2,3,4,5grand is alot! 400quid is nothing really.

so if i can get back on track....im studying A+ n+ and ccna. with no hope in hell of passing. my tutor sent me some stuff about binary but its all alien to me its like my computer talking to a brick wall.

i'm glad i found ur post zimbo it gives me a little hope of achieving my cert goals.

WIP: A+ N+ CCNA
  4. ak2006137

ak2006137 New Member

do u need a study partner? add me to msn if u do....
    alan

WIP: A+ N+ CCNA
  5. Arconion

Arconion New Member

Hey Zimbo, Thanks for the guide. That's a great deal of help you've given me:thumbleft

6. moontan

moontan New Member

Hey Zimbo,

Thank you for the brilliant break down. I myself have be looking where to start? how to go about it? and even had a Advent rep doing the talk. I am seriously looking in to doing the ECDL also to get some basic nailed.

WIP: comptia A+
  7. CarpetBomber

CarpetBomber New Member

This sounds right up my street self study, I'm trying to change my career to IT. I had a rep round from Advent training who told me all the prospects of getting work blah blah! Then he told me the price, I thought it would be 2 - 3 grand but £5450 I nearly fell off my chair. They want an answer in a few day's and over this weekend I got a rash on my face its realy sore I don't think its the wine I think its @dvent. Now I've read pages on this forum I feel good that I can save all that money, but I feel I will be back for more advice. Thanks alot :D

8. Icecold

Icecold New Member

Excellent guide Zimbo, thanks very much!! I was about the spend 5k on Advent but now looking at purchasing the books from Amazon as suggested and taking the Self Study route.

You mentioned that the “A+ Certification All-in-one Exam Guide” only covers the 2006/2007 objectives not the 2003 objectives, is this going to be a problem for me now, if so can your recommend any other books which would cover the 2003 objectives?

9. mattgerrard

mattgerrard New Member

Great stuff Zimbo,
    Exactly to the sort of info that someone starting out needs! I shall head to Amazon directly for the Myers book. Every review I've read of it form people who have completed the A+ exam say it has everything you need in a concise and clear format.
    Cheers!

Certifications: A-Level IT, Partial Bsc
    WIP: A+
  10. Pauld

Pauld Bit Poster

Self study is the way to go!

Dare i say it that employers will be a little impressed also that you got the cert by doing it on your own 8)

Certifications: PostGrad in IT, A+, N+,70-270, 70-290
    WIP: Taking a rest!
  11. P19BLO

P19BLO New Member

I've been struggling for a while on how to start out, as i dont have any experience apart from my own room. This is excellent, thank you

12. nosebag

nosebag New Member

Great post Zimbo

I was in talks with nitlc about enrolling on the intermediate web design course .

I wonder if any one could break down a self study plan for a job in web design and creation

I presume getting Adobe certified is the best place to start?

13. dev00790

dev00790 New Member

Thanks Zimbo for info.

Just purchased first 2 comptia A+ books, and "PC Tech Street Smarts". 8)

Certifications: None
  14. Meshan

Meshan Bit Poster

This forum is turning into a real godsend.

I paid for my MCDST through a training company but unfortunately the descision is out of my hands and any further learning is going to have to be self taught so all the help and advise you guys can give the better.

My secret for learning at home. Get your laptop and go to the local library. Simple.

M

Certifications: HCIMA, BIIAM, BSc (Hons),
    WIP: MCITP (70-622)
  15. Ross

Ross Bit Poster

Great Guide Zimbo!

Certifications: I.T NVQ Levels 1 and 2, ECDL, A+, SDI, Senior SDI, ITIL, NVQ Management L3
    WIP: CompTIA N+
  16. jasonavfc

jasonavfc New Member

Great :biggrin . I was looking at doing this at home, Now i've got the push i need :D
    Big Thanks mate

17. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

Godsend :)

I've had a headache for a few days trying to locate literature to fullfill my determination to complete up to the MCSE grade.

Excellent thread, will recommend.

BDB

Certifications: Life Experiance count?
    WIP: MCSA MCSDT MCSE CCNA
  18. dac09

dac09 New Member

This thread just saved me £5450.
    Was going to go with advent but after reading this I think the self study is the best route to go

many thanks

19. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

most training providers have workshop days where you can go and get hands on training. if i was to self study, are there any workshops i can go to in the north of england?

WIP: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
  20. clubk1d

clubk1d New Member

Thanks for sharing this great and very good help for those people that are planning to take some certs like me. . :)