The great video game debate continues

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Sep 6, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There's going to be a debate in the house commons about video games and the fact they can make people kill other people.

When are people going to learn that YES some people can be influenced by violent games and violent films. But not everyone.

Some people drink beer and become Alcoholics, some people smoke ganja and become scitzophrenic. BUT NOT EVERYONE

As I mentioned in a previous post the first ever video I rented when I was 6 was Conan the Barbarian, I had also seen 5 of the Friday the 13th films by the time I was 10, I have played violent video games since I was 4.

I HAVE NEVER KILLED ANYONE OR BEEN VIOLENT TOWARDS ANYONE APART FROM WHEN I HAD TO DEFEND MYSELF AGAINST A BULLY IN SCHOOL.

I smoked weed for quite a few years I AM NOT SCHITZO
    I drink beer (have done since I was about 13) I AM NOT AN ALCOHOLIC

What I think the main problem with violent kids in society today is POLITICAL CORRECTNESS. There isnt sports days incase someone loses, kid dont play conkers at school in case some gets hurt by one.

Kids are not scared of authority because of political correctness because they know they can say to their parents I'll tell social services or I'll take you to the European court of human rights.

Another problem I see is there are too many kids having kids and too many parents being freinds with their kids rather than being parents. Its about time the politicians got as grip with reality because half them are born with silver spoons in their hands and havent got a clue about real life.

Does anyone else want to contribute, sorry for the long speach.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

I don't really think games make a child violent. The kids upbringing and environment in which they live are probably the key factors in how that kid will turn out.
    In today’s world, kids have been given so many rights and choices but with no responsibility for the choices they make.

Kids / young adults need to be shown discipline when growing up, I’m not talking about hitting them but they should have set rules and if they cross them be punished in some way so they know their actions have consequences. I know that nothing is ever black and white and this is my opinion only.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  3. greenbrucelee

Yes this is what I mean when parents are friends to their kids not parents they have no boundaries and can get away with stuff because their parents can't control them when it comes to something really bad

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, what happens now a days if someone commits a crime - a slap on the wrist, and even if they get to go with jail/prison, what happens then? Free accomodations, get to learn a new skills, gym, etc. Plus in the local paper yesterday, over the last 3 years 360 crimes where commited by those under the age of 10 - but they can not be prosecuted because of their age. This includes rape, arson, assault & burglary.

They use "Human Rights" & "Political Correctness" to get out of any trouble that they cause and do not want to take responibilty.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. greenbrucelee

I know a kid who was recently sent to a young offenders institute. He had swimming lessons and a gym and English classes during the day after 6 he was put in his room (not cell) and had a PS2 and every week the kids in there were allowed to order games and other items which the people in charge would get them. AT OUR EXPENSE :x

And people wonder why they dont learn.

6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

People like scapegoats and computer games and violent films are an easy one to target. KILL KILL KILL, oops sorry, I went a bit psycho for a second, too many games of CS. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

See, I believe that video games/music/whatever todays scapegoat is, dont cause violence. You have to be already predisposed to that sort of action before a video game will encourage you to take action (note the word encourage). Sure, in the mentally unstable it will be a contributing factor, but in people like that it was very likely only a matter of time before something pushed them over the edge.

On the note of prison. I firmly believe that convicts waive their human rights when they deny others theirs (by breaking the law). They should be supplied with only the most basic human rights (basic rations/clothes/a roof over their head and one hours outdoor exercise). Everything else should be denied to them.

Actually, I lie. I do also believe that convicts should be rewarded for constructive behaviour. Allow them to work within the prison (on the kitchen, etc) and pay them a basic wage. Allow them to use this basic wage to buy whatever they want. want a ps3 in your cell? save your minimum wages and buy a tv, then save for the ps3. That way, it encourages prisoners to see that productive activities benefit themselves and helps condition them, but isnt giving them all these benefits for no reason. "Congratulations skinning sammy, you havent killed any of your fellow inmates in the last few months. heres a ps3!"

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. greenbrucelee

Yes I agree, but I think the debate on rewarding prisoners has to be carefully monitored as if you give them too much they'll take too much give them too little and they'll rebel just like kids do.

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Nice idea in principle but it wouldn't work. They would come out of prison even more messed up than they went in and you would see a significant reduction in those who actually wanted to change their ways. Prison is not just about punishment, it's meant to be about rehabilitation as well.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  10. greenbrucelee

Whilst I agree with what you say prison is supposed to be it actually isnt you learn more about crime etc in there.

I believe we should bring back the death penalty for peados, Rapists and Murderes I think that would help curtail crime a bit but it would never solve it, there will always be crime its just finding away to stem it.

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I've said it for years
    if you want to have a Human Rights act
    you have to have a Human Responsibilities act

those who break the human responsibilities act are afforded only the bare minimum human rights while incarcerated

Also, we need to boost the rights of people to
    a) defend themselves
    contrary to believe, this is not a vigilante act, this is pure self defence, that includes from verbal/phsycological abuse as well as physical abuse

b) bring up there children properly
    yes, beat the crap out of the little shits, it never did me any harm, or any of my mates, we knew damn well where the line was, and knew the consequences if we crossed it..
    sometimes it was worth it though :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

V.good point mate.

i believe once someone breaks the law they should therefore have no protection under it.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  13. greenbrucelee

Good idea mate (rep added)

I was never hit as a child when i did something wrong.

I was made to sit at the bottom of the stairs to think about my actions and what my actions have caused to other people and I would have to explain this to my mum. I wasnt allowed to move untill I fully realised what I had done worng and why it was wrong.

14. Kitkatninja

I agree:

Now a days if you defend yourself from 1. an attack or 2. robbery, etc... The victim now get prosecuted by lawers on behalf of the attacker. That's just wrong :x That should be changed.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  15. greenbrucelee

9 years ago I was living in a flat on Clayton street in Newcastle, it was about 9.30 at night and me my mate looked out the window to see man punching his girlfriend. We confronted the man who took a swing at me which I blocked and I hit him back and he fell on the floor.

When the police arrived they wanted to charge me with assault but I was lucky that there were witnesses and CCTV footage showing me defending myself.

What I couldnt believe is his girlfiend tried to defend him and police believed them untill the CCTV footage proved otherwise.

16. Kitkatninja

Another case to prove my point, glad you had the cctv and witnesses mate.

-Ken

17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I agree that that can and does happen, but not everyone goes on to re-offend when they leave prison. Would you prefer 100% of people leaving prison to go straight back to crime? Or do you imagine that making conditions harder will stop them teaching other the tricks of the trade and all of them will come out changed men who will never re-offend? Last time I checked conditions were already unbelievably shitty in pretty much all our prisons due to massive overcrowding etc..

It's been shown many times before that the death penalty proves virtually no deterrent in countries that still use it. But what the hell, if a few innocent people are executed, it's a worthwhile price to pay ... Also, just FYI, the American 'death row' system actually costs far more to the taxpayers than paying for a prisoner serving a life sentence.

18. greenbrucelee

Yes but death would atleast make some people think twice

19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I have to admit I agree with what everyone has said so far...and just like you Phoenix, I use to get beat up alot by my parents for bad things I did. Yeah at the time it was bad...really bad I even couldnt move out of my bed one day after a nite of intense beating from my mum and then by my dad when he came home from work. But looking back, I have to admit I do laugh at some of them as they were worth it...others I still let my parents know about it cos I felt I had certain rights to do certain things that they wouldnt let me do. So yeah I rebelled.

But for those who get into trouble that makes go into prison, well why should they get all the luxury when some of us cant afford things like the PS3 and that? We're the ones paying for their PS3's in prison (or detention centre) and I am sorry but thats just like inviting a criminal to your house and let them have access to your possessions!!

Lets hope things do change...but when that will be we will never know...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  20. greenbrucelee

Unfortunatley I dont think it will because there are too many pc people out there who havent got a clue, they make me mad :x