The gaming machine is alive and kicking!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Dec 1, 2007.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yes thats right, at last my gaming machine has been built and is now proudly sitting on its own desk and looking very hot and sexy.

Here are the specs:

ASUS M2R32-MVP motherboard
    AMD Athlon X2 6000 (3GHz OC'd to 3.4GHz) (AM2)
    4GB DDR2-PC6400 RAM (2GB GeIL + 2GB Elixir)
    Zalman CNPS9700-LED CPU Cooler
    Maxtor 500GB SATAII HDD
    2x ATI Sapphire RADEON 2600XT 256MB GPUs in Crossfire mode
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Hiper Type-R Blue modular 580W PSU
    Samsung 18x DVD-RW SATA
    Creative T6100 5.1 speakers
    Saitek Eclipse illuminated keyboard
    Razor Blue Diamondback mouse
    Samsung 22" Pebble LCD monitor
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming case

And here is a pic of the beast

If any of you have facebook (which a few do) u may already have seen the umpteen amount of pics I have posted of there...I cant help it...I am in love with it more than my laptop and other desktop lol...I've also posted a screenshot of the desktop in the Lounge...so please have a gander peeps..

So what do u all think? :biggrin I love it

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Looks pretty cool to me :)

I am going to build a system next year and have been looking at either the case you have or the Antec P180B.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Same mouse and keyboard as me!

Not intent on building another rig for a year or so, but research has already started - keeping an eye on the market, balancing price and performance.

Why did you not go C2D and match all four sticks of RAM?

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Personally, I'd rather be with Intel and Nvidia right now but I guess it's good if you're happy with it.

Visually it looks great though.

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Me too

I am off the opinion that Nvidia graphics are far ahead of ATI at he moment (we all know this could change)

I also think the Intel are far past AMD but again this could change or get very close.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea, exactly. I'm not a fanboy of any company, I just buy whatever is the best at the time of my upgrades.

I'm also under the impression than Nvidia cards works better with Linux than ATi, correct me if I'm wrong :rolleyes:

Either way, I wouldn't mind having 4gb of ram, hmm. :x

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That is a nice system, I was thinking of building a gaming rig my self, but the parts that I want are pretty expensive right now so I think I am going to wait a little for the prices to go down and maybe next year around summer or fall time I will put something together because right now I can run most of the games, not on fully settings but default which is usually medium.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Nice system there Nol. The specs are pretty good, but lik emost others i don't see why you didn't opt for an intel chip as they have the edge for now?
    Agree again that Nvidia are the better graphics for a while but with AMDs and Nvidia match up i can soon see ATI overtaking them.
    Is the Zalman cooler a large flat circular one? its the LED version of the one i got fitted i think. Their very good but be careful of teh dust they collect and the fins bend easily.
    I also have the Saitek Eclipse keyboard as i bought one for my sons PC as it fitted the colour scheme and i had 2 delivered!
    Bet the Samsungs a good monitor, been looking at thier LCD TVs, they always seem to get high reviews.
    Also notice you have the same PSU. Found having a modular one helps with tidiness inside the case which in turn helps the airflow. I've fitted one in each of the PC's we have at home.
    Antec cases are supposed to be really good too, but i've only seen the sonata 2 (which i didnt like as it marked easily) and the P180 which was a beast of a case!

Hope to re-start upgrading mine in the new year once my finaces are back to normal (always go overbaord at xmas, spend way too much on kids and g/f). I will probably go for an Intel C2D with Nvidia 8800. Will stick with Asus motherboards as i feel they are the best so far, the rest of the parts will probably stay as i have them now though i would have to change the memory to DDR2 as i only have DDR (upgraded last year just before DDR2 hit the market big time)
    If i do upgrade i'll put the spares from my system into my sons one to improve his, and what i dont use in his will go into the g/f's machine.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  9. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i take it you got a 64-bit o/s ?

oow a hiper PSU, they're renowned for blowing up :(

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  10. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Agreed.

Nice build though Noel, love that samsung TFT and the case looks awesome.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

if that be the case why has my current Type-M 580W in my main machine still running perfectly after a year? lol...

and everyone else thank you all...but yet again, I hate having to repeat myself so I will keep it short: I am an AMD and ATI fanboy and no one will change my mind...I know what I like and what I go for...so any amount of saying: why didnt u go for the C2D or the nVidia 8800? will not do anything for me at all...

But again thank you for your kind words...I have both Vista Ultimate 32 and 64 bit on the machine, but mainly use 32-bit for the time being.

Next year tho...its all about AMDs quad-core, ATI's 3800 series GPUs and AMDs new 700 series mobo chipsets...yum yum :biggrin so thats all for this time next year...cos im waiting to see how the quad-cores change over that time as its too early to get them right now...

12. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

awesome machine noelg24 :biggrin
    I still planning on getting mine done soon, but the car insurance (especially when your young like me) reallly killed it and starting to save up again doing many hours to make up for it :biggrin

I dont know too much about new monitors lcds. But how is your Samsung 22" Pebble LCD monitor compared to a standard crt monitor?

Nice setup by the way :thumbleft

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cool specs Noel.

Personally i think all the neon lights and stuff make gaming computers look a bit naff, much like lights in your wheel wells do but thats just my miserable old git opinion 8)

Under the hood though it is a power horse and therefore it should run minesweeper with no stuttering issues.

Pete.. typed on a C2D / Nvidia system 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well ur asking someone who hasnt used a CRT for over 4yrs now...lol...put it this way...my games have never looked better...it has a 2ms response time with a 3000:1...the clarity is sharp and everything just looks so much better...plus it saves a huge amount of desk space...I wouldnt want a 22" CRT sitting there...:biggrin

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well saying that it does stutter now and then...but thats due to the fact that I keep hitting the damn mines :biggrin

16. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Fanboying it only provides you with poorer quality hardware.

Intel and Nvidia are the better products right now but as you say, nobody will change your mind :)

Dave.

p.s. Intel have always been the 'real' cpu, AMD just had a good run on the 64's but before and after them, it's always been intel :p

17. allblack

allblack Bit Poster

He is a AMD fanboy as he say time and time again in his passed post so let the man rest, if he's happy.

As i see it if we did't have AMD giving Intel a run for there money in the past then we would't have the C2D cpu and may all be running P4 still by now, like me and my old rig lol. I to am hope to get a new rig next year when i have the money

I to love Intel and Nvidia and looking at some thing like this Asus P5K P35 chipset £75 for CPU the Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 stepping model £162 may go for 4GB of ram but will see and a GeForce 8800GT 512MB !What make i don't know yet maybe a BFG What you all Think !!!!!8)

Certifications: in IT none
    WIP: A+, N+, MCDST
  18. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Now see here...I like what he has said...and I think this is why alot of people seem to keep veering towards Intel CPUs these days...if it wasnt for AMD and their Athlon chips they released all those years ago...Intel wouldnt have bothered with their C2Ds for at least another year...if anything AMD have pushed Intel further than ever before...yes Intel are way ahead and dont get me wrong their CPUs are hot right now...but AMD and ATI for me all the way...I have used Intel and nVidia in the past and for me they didnt give me the experience I was looking for...whereas AMD and ATI have...and I couldnt be more happier...

19. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

Nice looking machine you have there, I am sure you are going to have hours of fun with that one.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  20. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Question is, what games do you play on it, and are you any good? :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012