The First law of Hardware (Dis)Assembly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fergal1982, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The first law of Hardware (Dis)Assembly states that, as the number of component parts increase, so too does the number of inexplicable remainder parts.

I decided to open my laptop and give the fan a quick air dusting. All went ok(ish), although i couldnt get the laptop fully open (didnt want to try to force it too much). I wasnt too bothered about it though, so i opened it a little and air dusted.

Came to put it back together again and, as it stands right now, I have 4 screws, 3 holes, and none of the free screws fit the available holes.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

LOL

dont worry that happens >< try taking it apart to the same extent you did last time and see if you can identify the screws to holes before you got o put it back together again.

:)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

LOL

It happens, the screw is obviousley from somewhere take it apart again and have a look.

No screws came of the fan?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually the first rule states that if you aren't sure you can put it back together again they way it was, make sure you document each step you took including which screws go where. Draw diagrams if you have to. If you get good enough at it, you can start writing documentation for the product. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

i thought it's UNPLUG IT ;)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ah got it. finally.

I figured that there were three sizes of screw, there were four. once i figured that out it was a piece of cake to place the screws.

as for the fourth, it was screwing the HDD into place, over which id already screwed the cover on.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

My favorite rule of taking apart PC's is test the thing before you screw it all back together again. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. immoral giant

immoral giant Nibble Poster

Doesn't always work with laptops though. I guess they have a chassis intrusion detection or something.

Certifications: A+, N+
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i always had that problem, i now take photos...
    ...i still get that problem

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That always happens with laptops. Each time I replace a laptop screen (not very often) I think "this is the one, all the screws are going back in", but NO there is *always* one, arrrgh! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I tend to avoid taking laptops apart if I can as I seem to be a dab hand at breaking them when I do that. It could be to do with the tools I use though ...

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada