The 'dude' is leaving the 'drum'

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by drum_dude, Mar 26, 2010.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Well guys and gals, I'm quitting the drums! Got my Roland e-kit up for sale and will be flogging the Tama and Zildjians starting from tomorrow!

And why you may ask? Well because I just cannot practice for long enough! When I say long enough I mean like 4 - 5 hours a day! Living in a built up area means playing the normal drum kit is a no-no! However, even the e-kit attracts complaints cos of all the 'thumping' and 'tapping'!...So after 20 years of this battle I have now decided 'fvck it' I quit!

Also 2008 and 2009 was the most busiest years that I've ever had as a drummer and I made quite a lot of money too...but I aspire to be better but as I do not live on a farm etc I just cannot move forward in the skill level! It's so fvcking frustrating!!!

But I haven't given up music...I'm moving over to Keyboard and Piano! It's going to take me probably 12 months to get to a cover band gigging level but I'm confident that I can do it! I can practise to my heart’s content on the keys and in fact own an m-audio 61 key midi controller and use Roland's grand piano and synth plug-in on the PC and all through USB MIDI. I have a great Keys tutor who is teaching me the Blues: the foundation of most western styles of music! I'm having fun and spend something like 6 hours a day on the keys...it's great!

Once the drums are sold I'll be buying a Yamaha Motif XS8 keyboard with proper weighted keys! I really look forward to it!

So far I have learnt a lot of gospel music (I'm not religious but gospel music has a lot of interesting chord changes) and have cracked Van Halen's Jump and Gary Numan's Are Friends Electric! It's all good fun and I hope to be back out on the road in 12 months time as a keyboardist!

Rock n Roll and persue what you love (where possible and not in a built up area LOL) :D

Cheers

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I know what you mean. I've been playing the guitar for 20 years, got five of 'em and a lovely Marshall half-stack. Even though I've now arguably got the perfect setup (basement/den which dampens the sound, meaning I can have the head on higher volume than 1.5) I just haven't got the time to play any more. Still, that hasn't stopped me booking my seven string in for fitting a couple of EMGs, and having my eye on the Stephen Carpenter ESP sig ESP 8-string...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Good luck with the switch, so will you be changing your name to keyboard_dude? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

rock on! :rocks

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

BosonJosh is an avid guitar player. He often goes to the Gibson store to drool over several of the models.

I don't have the heart to tell him that licking the guitars won't prevent someone else from buying them... :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. drum_dude

Well I do have the time but, unless you live in a remote area or have your own studio, the drums is too much of a 'loud' instrument to learn. Liek I said, even the e-kit attracts complaints...oh well...I tried!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  7. drum_dude

:biggrin nah I'll keep it as it is...cheers!

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Do you have any arguments with your neighbors apart from a few complaints?

If not then keep playing them if it's what makes you really happy mate. My son plays drums too (when he can be bothered). We have them in his bedroom under his hi-rise bed and they are loud when ha plays. If anyone dared to complain then they'll be summarily told where they can put that complaint.:twisted:

If you love it, do it. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. drum_dude

Well when I first started back in the early 90s it didn't take too long for the complaints and thumping at the door to happen! Unemployment was quite high in those days and from what I could gather my parents were the only ones in the street that had a job! I used to come home from college and then have a blast for a few hours...I was oblivious to people complaining as I could never hear them knocking on the door! The worst one was my mate coming round and finding a bloke kicking the door whilst I was playing along to Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit! He gave a message to my mate that he would "kick my head in" when he got hold of me. However, I carried on and never heard from the twerp again.

And then the neighbours in the local street complained by sending my folks a letter of complaint...so my dad demanded that I stop...and I did!

Now that I'm a big boy, I still live in a built up area so playing the normal kit is out of the question. I bought the e-kit to solve this problem but the impact noise (loud thumps and taps) that it makes caused complaints from those below me. So I have to respect others and make a decision and that is to either move to the countryside or into a detached house, both very expensive, or move to another instrument!

However, I've been gigging for years and have earned back from my purchases probably about 10 times what I initially paid for the gear! Some I'm happy with that and as I get older I'm starting to verge towards a different instrument: mainly the Keyboards. I have to admit that I've fallen in love with this instrument and that having a good tutor has helped too! I can also practice for as long as I like with the aid of headphones! And I'm confident that I'll be ready to gig within 12 months.

10. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

It will if the drool ruins the guitars! IF I CAN'T HAVE IT NO ONE ELSE CAN EITHER! :biggrin

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

SABOTEUR!!! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!