The Difference Between a Virus, Worm and Trojan Horse

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Mr.Cheeks, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

The most common blunder people make when the topic of a computer virus arises is to refer to a worm or Trojan horse as a virus. While the words Trojan, worm and virus are often used interchangeably, they are not the same. Viruses, worms and Trojan Horses are all malicious programs that can cause damage to your computer, but there are differences among the three, and knowing those differences can help you to better protect your computer from their often damaging effects....

To read the rest of the article, click here...

2. DarkDesigns

DarkDesigns Bit Poster

Ooohh, very shiny.
    Nice summary of differences, and on a related note, brushing up on /correct/ terminology and making the differences between 'this', 'that' and 'suchlike' clearer is probably a very good idea for most of us... especially when trying to explain to an end user just what they've picked up and what its doing. I've heard many a mangled explanation and it does nothing to help them *or* us...

Ahhhh damn, sorry, didn't see how old it was... shall crawl into a corner and hide now....

Certifications: Unqualified Wretch
    WIP: A+
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Not as common as every lUser asking whether there is a 'a problem with the firewall' whenever a spam gets through the mail filter... For some reason that particular one makes me want to hit someone in the face with a hammer every time I hear it - I can cope with most of the other shite the Great Unwashed come up with, but that one just really gets my goat.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em