The Debate 620 vs 270

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Phoenix, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Ok so i decided to hit the client exam for my 2k3 MCSE (yeah i know, I'm slow, get over it)
    This will give me the MCSA:Messaging on my way to the full blown MCSE (I'm not upgrading this time, I'm doing it from scratch) the MCSA will also give me an upgrade path if I never get round to finishing it before its discontinued (there is a single exam to get MCTS:Windows Server 2008 Active Directory and MCTS:Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration

Anyway, the debate is on for me
    do I do 70-270
    or 70-620

I'm in a bit of middle ground, I've used XP since the beta, and I've used Vista since the beta, meaning my time with XP has come to an end (all of my systems run Vista now)
    I therefore have a shed load of commercial industry experience with XP, I know about deployment techniques, I know about patch management, kernel troubleshooting and registry hacking

Vista is relatively new to me, I have used it since the beta sure, but I have not had to use it much in a commercial environment, meaning some of the cool features (deployment, driver management etc are still new to me)

That said
    I don't plan on doing any more XP support/migrations anyway.

270 would defiantly be the easy way for me, however that's not how I roll really

Therefore I have decided to do 70-620, its a new learning curve for me, it will take a bit more work, but from my perspective, XP is dead
    Long live Vista

Anyway, not much to this thread rather than giving some of you making the same decision, an insight into how I cam to my choice.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If all your systems run on Vista, it certainly makes sense to focus on the Vista exam.

That said, there are a few reasons to consider 70-270:
    1. If you're looking to get certified quickly, you'll obviously be able to get certified faster by pursuing 70-270 simply because you've got much more experience with XP than you do with Vista.
    2. You don't *plan* on doing any XP support... but what happens if you lose your job? Most companies haven't migrated to Vista, and many don't plan to START doing so for another year or two. Further, XP will still be around for years. Remember, certification isn't about learning a new technology, nor is it proving to yourself that you understand a technology... it's proving to another company that you understand a technology. So if you ever have the need to show an employer that you know XP, the certification is a good way to do so.
    3. Why not do both, provided cost isn't a factor? I'm sure you could knock down 70-270 without much effort... then you can go after 70-620 at your leisure.

Obviously, either exam will get you where you want to go, and neither is a bad choice... so whether you decide to stay with 70-620 or change to 70-270, you'll be fine. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I like your last point Mike
    its defiantly an option, time scales to do both probably would be a problem at this point (I am doing a VCP before I head to VMWorld in San Fran in September) and I want to hit the client exam on the head before then, so I'm looking at 2 - 3 weeks study for it tops

I see what your trying to say in point two, and I'm well aware of that, that said
    I have NT and 2000 certifications, and I have a CV touting commercial experience with XP from the launch in 2001 until now, not something that any prospective employer will frown upon really, I'm also in a pretty stable position at the moment and with my experience can afford to be a tad picky about where and when I change roles, unless of course, the unthinkable happened :)
    I'm fortunate enough to hold a position where if I decide not to do any more XP support, then I don't have to
    that said, I feel I could easily call upon the experience already available to me should the need ever arise (bear in mind i've got every one of my positions that USED XP in the last 5 years without the cert)

I may well end up doing both though, who knows :)

Thanks for the input mate, I saw a new Sybex Vista book from some cowboys state side, heard it's a good read, what do you think? ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree that you probably won't have any problem getting a job (should the unthinkable happen) with the experience you've built. But every bit of CV ammunition helps! :)

Well, that book's gotten mixed reviews on Amazon.co.uk: one good review, and one bad review. But, like most Sybex books, I hear it's a pretty good read! If you decide to get it, be sure to know all the little Notes and Tips and Warnings scattered throughout... I'll bet those are very helpful. ;)

Probably wouldn't hurt to take a chance on buying it... I would - uh, I mean, THEY would appreciate your purchase! :oops:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!