The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by onoski, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

What like a black version of this maybe?
    [​IMG]

WIP: A+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

on my way home from seeing the movie a third time, this time joined by James
    Apart from being a bit pekish the movie did not disappont, there are not many films I can still enjoy a third time in two weeks!

Nice chatting with Jim about the comics of old after the movie too, anyway dinner is here :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ryan, you beat me to it. Just got home. Chatted with my daughter for a bit about the movie and then headed straight for the PC.

I agree, the movie does not disappoint. I really liked the film "Batman Begins" but in terms of intensity and depth, the Dark Knight blows it away. Ledger is King as the Joker. I wasn't as "frightened" of the Joker as I thought I'd be but Ledger captured the complete randomness of the Joker character and established Joker as the one bad guy who has the ability to defeat the Batman...not necessarily in terms of killing him...but making Batman dance to Joker's tune.

Good to see Ryan again. The after movie conversation started out with Batman and moved into a lot of other comic book realms including my favorite...the historical aspects.

I just grabbed a small bite and had some lemonade. I didn't dare drink anything before going into a 2 1/2 hour movie, so naturally, I'm thirsty.

Headed for bed now. Work comes far too early in the morning.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the insights guys and gals:) as my wife wants to treat me to see this on the 21st of August, 2008 at the London Waterloo IMAX:)

Come on quick 21st.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I saw this for the third time today as well. It's just SO good!

I'm going to take a break now but I'll definitely be buying the DVD when it's released :D

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I saw this movie yesterday in IMAX and it is definitely a great movie. I am definitely going to go see it again soon and probably get the dvd.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the heads up, hence I can't wait for the 21st of August to come by quick as that's when am going to see this at the London Waterloo, IMAX:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

couldnt see it in Imax London last week as they were all sold out except for midnight showing (too late for me as i had work next morning)

I did see it in teh VUE shepards bush. And was blown away. it really is a great batman film. Ledger as the Joker is definatley the best, psychopathic joker ever. He really gets across what the character is about, pure chaos entwind with a psychotic genius.
    The Dent / 2 face i felt a little let down about but it didnt detract from the film. I just didnt see the need for a 2 face part really. They could have left it with him in hospital, or just after he disappears from the hospital, and have him turn up in another film later.

My only complaint, is that with the wealth of batman villians in the comics, why have we now had 2 jokers, 2 2 faces and it seems a 2nd riddler is planned? I'd be ok with them redoing the Bane charcter as he was pathetic in the batman and robin film, but there are plenty of others i'd liek to see.

As for the film being a 12A, maybe it should have been a 12, but i dont see the need to make it a 15. As mentioned you do not get to see any real vilolence. Most of it is implied, in that you see a knife, and then you see the victim lying on the floor, but you never see the knife pierce flesh and rip a hole in a body.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Upon reflection, I suspect that we haven't seen the last of Two-Face. After all, Gordon faked his death, even convincing his wife and children that he was gone, for the greater good. Killing off Dent as a hero and letting Batman take the fall, would be the perfect solution...all the while, hiding Dent out at Arkham. Betcha he shows up in the third film.

I think a trilogy based on the Knightfall series would be totally hot, but hard to pull off. There's a lot of back story to fill in and characters that may or may not fit into the film mythos. You'd need someone to be the Batman replacement while Bruce is recovering from a broken back (sorry, it this amounts to a spoiler for anyone). Then there are the smaller roles such as Barbara Gordon (post-Batgirl) as the wheelchair bound Oracle. If you get a chance, read the Knightfall series (they're available as "graphic novels") and you'll see what I mean.

Personally, I always thought they should have made a Superman film trilogy out of the Superman/Doomsday storyline, but that would even be harder to accomplish.

10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Can you point me in the right direction? As far as I can tell, the knightfall series is made up of 3 parts?

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

12. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

You are TOO good Trip :D

I've been browsing comics since my last post and eventually found all of these titles on forbidden planet but I didn't see #2 on amazon. Though it was maybe because I used .co.uk

It seems there are a lot of quality stories to be had in the comic versions of many heroes. I noticed one called Black Panther who seemed to be popular but with very little stories where he's the main man.

I used to read Spawn comics when I was younger but I thought the dark 'graphic novels' I bought were just the format used for this hero, seeing as he's a hellspawn. I'm so excited about the prospect of spending all my cash on comics of all different heroes now e.g. Batman, Ironman, Spiderman (!), The Hulk. I always had the idea that comics of this genre were more like the Beano :oops:

Sheesh, my girlfriend is going to realise(even more) what a nerd I am. :biggrin

13. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I have the complete Knighfall series as thier original comincs! I did have Batmans Long Halloween as well but gave that away. That one covers a killer they call Holiday, who only kills on... wait for it, Holidays!. This was spread over 13 issues and was pretty good.

being a comic book fan, can hurt when it comes to watching those same heores on teh big screen. Seeing the differences between a book version and a film version, means i'm always looking to see whats out of character or dosent quite fit. Like in Spiderman 3, i felt venom was under used and not quite crazy enough. He was a real let down for a Venom comic book fan. And it was teh same in Batman, untill the Dark Knight. I like the Joker, but didnt think Nicklsons version was quite right. But Ledgers one is as spot on as i could imagine.
    I'm just glad i'm not a big FF4 fan as i thought those films were bad anyway.

14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I originally read Knightfall in the comics as m housemate was a big collector and spent a fortune on the things (was quite handy that :) ).

I was slightly dissapointed when I bought the graphic novels as there seemed to be parts missing. I guess they cut out some of the background material that gets filled in with comics like Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman etc...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Most movies don't do the source material justice. Movie producers have a different "vision" of what the audience wants than the fan base does. I try to prepare myself for that when I choose to view movies/TV shows based on comic books (the Fantastic Four movies were a *huge* disappointment).

Speaking of the Black Panther, he first appeared in the mid-1960s in the Fantastic Four comics. He was/is an African prince who rules a hidden, highly technologically advanced kingdom. He eventually joined the Avengers at the recommendation of Captain America. The Panther's abilities were too much like so many other heroes (Captain America, Daredevil) to make him special enough to warrant a title of his own. He *does* have the distinction of being the first "hero-of-color" ever to appear in comics. It was probably "OK" with American readers because he was African, Oxford educated, and a buddy of the FF.

By 1972, the world was ready for the first African-American superhero; Luke Cage: Hero for Hire. An escaped con who was framed for a crime he didn't commit. He was accidentally given powers as part of a prison experiment gone bad. On the outside, he took up the identity of a hero who could be hired for cases like a private detective. He was the superheroes union's answer to Shaft. Strong, hip, black, raw, and living in the heart of Harlem.

Needless to say, I'm a bit of a comics history buff. Here are a couple of covers to whet your appetite:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I went and bought myself the first part of Knightfall today from Forbidden Planet, not started reading it yet though as I had some DIY stuff (ok assembling furniture:rolleyes:) to do but I'm looking forward to it.

I did have a look at other comics and found a few about Black Panther, I'll maybe give them a try some day. Though, as you say, there are other heroes already with similar abilities.

I've never read any FF stuff but I've watched the odd cartoon and I agree that the film was complete rubbish. Needless to say I never even bothered going to see Silversurfer.

I've always been a fan of Spiderman and I eagerly awaited #3 knowing Venom was going to appear but to my dissapointment, I thought, like twizzle, that he was portrayed very poorly (character and physique). I was actually expecting them to use Venom as the main villain but instead they just used him as an add-on (like twoface in TDK). The Venom saga was my favourite of all the cartoon series and I feel completely let down by the fact they chose to focus more on the Sandman, especially when a lot of the film hype was about the black suit/Venom. Venom and Carnage are the best!

17. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Interesting read, now that's what I call hardcore back in the days fans:)

18. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I've loved Venom since the first spiderman issue he appears in (which i have) and as for Carnage.. The 2 togther would make a great Spiderman flick (i also own the first appearnce of Carnage issue). Or maybe just a Venom film?? (i have a good collection of venom comics and a few Carnage ones)
    As for Batman, i think i'd liek to see Killer Croc, and Solomon Grundy as villains, possible even teh Ventriloquist.

I'm now sat here trying to think of which Comic book heros etc i'd like to see made to film, please no THOR!

19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually, since the "Avengers Initiative" was brought up in both the Iron Man and Incredible Hulk films, I understand that both a Captain America and Thor movie are in the works. Cap, I can see them being able to pull off but Thor??? Still, I think they want to be able to portray the original Avengers, though oddly, I haven't heard anything about bringing in Ant-Man/Giant Man/Goliath and the Wasp (Cap replaced the Hulk in the line up in the legendary 4th issue).

20. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

They haven't worried about accuracy before Trip, so I doubt they willo worry for the Avengers. Besides, Batman & Superman always wanted to be in them ... :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada