1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The cost to study in a university in England

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Masato, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Masato

Masato Bit Poster

I´m Portuguese and here in Portugal we pay in a public university 1070 euros to study.

How much a person pay to study in a public university in England? There are many people graduated in England?

2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

There's quite a few people who are graduates, again quite a few people who are post-graduates (those that have completed a PGCert/PGDip/Masters program), there are quite a few people who have alternative (vocational) qualifications comparable to graduate and post-grad qualifications and there are quite a few people who don't.

As for price, it can vary between universities. However on average it's anywhere from around £800 to £1300 per 30 point module, while 10-15 point modules will cost around £450 to £700 each. As you need, at least, 300 points to gain a BA/BSc and 360 to gain a Hons degrees, depending on what you take, what subjects and whether you stay at home or go away, it can cost anywhere from (approx.) £8000 to £25000+ for your degree.

A big price difference from when I finished my degree 10 odd years ago...

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

As Portugal is a member state of the EU, you're entitled to pay the same tuition fees as a British Citizen would. If you choose to study in Scotland, you will be exempt from tuition fees altogether.

4. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

I looked at going not so long back and it was for IT related courses about 9k per year tuition fees over a 3 year period.

But then again, its not really that much considering you have a student loan which isn't required to be paid back until you start earning.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Top Poster
    of the Month

correct 9k per year

Certifications: MTA Windows Fundamentals, ITIL Foundation, Mac Integration Basics 10.12