The company is paying.. what cert would you reccomend me?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ninjadeathcult, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ninjadeathcult

ninjadeathcult Bit Poster

Hi,
    I would like to have your opinion on a couple of matters, I am very new to the IT industry I have only worked on a tier 1 service desk for the last 18 months where my technical involvement was nothing more than very basic troubleshooting (no remote assistance). Since I have been there I have finnished my MCDST It is expected at my work for desktop support roles to open up shortly so I am waiting to see..Now that I have finnished my mcdst I am looking at my next cert I have been informed that the training budget at my work is being under utilised and that if I was to go to them saying I wish to this course/exam they may well go for it I know that my work has spent thousands on people to do 1 week courses before, paying for accom etc. So my question is what is a widelly regarded certification that you would reccomend? bare in mind my limited experience. I was thinking maybe an active directory crash course? An Itil Cert? It doesnt have to be something I want to spend the rest of my life doing I just want a 1-2 week max course that is going to complement my IT careeer (no matter which specific direction I go)

your thoughts

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Since you are new to IT and you only want a 1-2 week course, I would strongly not recommend a crash course in AD, there is so much to learn in AD that I feel that it would be more confusing than helpful without some sort of background knowledge. Especially since you have only completed the MCDST and there's the full client & server portion that would help you before you actually delve into AD.

One thing you will learn is that in IT you will always be updating your skills, this industry (no matter what sector you're in) moves fast, and regardless of whether or not the studying is for certification or not, 1 to 2 weeks is not going to be long enough...

Saying that... Courses within a 1-2 week time frame, there's the:

1. ITIL v3 Foundation, this is normally a 3-4 day course followed by an exam.
    2. The Daconi ICT Wireless level 3 course, this is normally for ICT staff in education, there may be a possibility that they will allow non-educational staff attend. However most likely it won't be on the discounted rates, if they do.
    3. MCAS - Microsoft business class of certifications (the evolved version of the MOS/MOUS) covering Vista, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint & Outlook - check your local college/Certiport testing centre for more details.
    4. Or what about a bespoke training course that your company normally sends staff on?

This isn't a complete list and the list goes on, just a starting point... :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I second Ken's comments and think ITIL Foundation V3 could be what you are looking for. Its not technical but if you look on all the job sites they say "Ideally you will be ITIL certified". And who knows, you might want to go down the route of Change, Incident or Problem Management. I know more than a few techies in our place that have gone further down the ITIL route and done VERY well for themselves.
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. ninjadeathcult

thanks for your reply, yeah I know I'm not going to master anything in a 1/2 week course but as there is a training budget at my work that I should use plus i would get a week off work :) I think that I should make the most out of it,Perhaps If I was to do a server 2003 foundation course this would be beneficial as I will most likelly go on to do mcsa eventually.

5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Kitkatninja

I would first do the 70-270 first. For the MCSA you need the client exam and since you've done the MCDST, the extra knowledge that you need to pass it would not as much. After doing the client exam, then look at the Server exam (70-290). You could probably pass the 70-270 exam at the end of the course on the 5th day (or on the Saturday if they do Saturday testing), then see how you get on with the server course and decide on when to take that exam at the end of it...

As each module lasts a week full-time, that would take you up to your 2 week aim.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. ninjadeathcult

thank you both for some great advice :biggrin, The 70-270 is a definate possibillity and would make sense based on my mcdst study experience, What concerns me about doing any server 2003/2008 courses is I know nothing at all about servers as i have never even navigated the server 2003 operating system for more than 5 minutes so i may wait till i start work in a desktop support role that i may start with server stuff. Is there any exams that go towards both the mcsa and mcse that i could study on a short course? even if It doesnt end in me sitting an exam. just something that teaches me some geninue skills/knowledge that is going to help me in an it career. thanks again:biggrin

8. Kitkatninja

Well the MCDST will count towards your MCSA elective, but not for the MCSE. One exam I would recommend is the 70-620 Vista client, as that will count as a MCSE elective as long as you have the 70-270 (the 70-620 can count as either a client or elective, but not both). It would have also counted towards the MCSA elective, but as you already got the MCDST...

The 70-620: Vista exam will also count towards the following certs from MS:

MCITP: Consumer Support Tech
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech
    MCITP: Enterprise Admin

-Ken

9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Errrr..... well I'd avoid Vista courses and exams then ! :biggrin

How about an introductory SQL course and maybe an introductory linux course ? I'd leave getting actual certs until you have some experience though.

Why not look at what various learning providers like Learningtree, QA, MS, etc can provide and pick a couple and run them past your boss ?

10. ninjadeathcult

looks like the best option is for me to do the 70-270 , it seems very very close to the material for the 70-271 and it will count towards both the mcsa and mcse. I now need to find a place that does the 70-270 in a 4-8 day course with an exam at the end near Cardiff.

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its easy to find college nightclasses for the 70-270 for £500 or you can self study.

I wouldn't blow a £2k+ training budget on it. I'd pick something more unique, challenging and interesting to maximise the benefit of the training.

12. ninjadeathcult

think im just going to self study for the 70-270 the material seems well within my grasp for self study and hold off until I am hopefully promoted to desktop support where I can see which of the mcsa exams (after the 70-270) I will study for next and hopefully work will be cool on sending me on a foundation course after I have gotten my hands a bit dirty.

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

hiya,
    The e-academy have a good reputation for classroom stuff mate. Haven't sat in on anything myself (taken most of my exams there) but a friend's company use them for all ms stuff and said they are good.
    Welcome to cf by the way!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

If the company is paying, then why not recommend creating a study area for all the staff, get a spare PC or 2, some network kit and some mspress and sybex books, that way the company will get much more value for money, providing other staff are willing to self learn, you could even get it organised as to have a 1-2 hour per week study period instead of having the full week off, it would work out roughly the same period over the year but would be more beneificial as long term learning is more effective than a quick course.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal