The Coming IT Workforce Shortfall

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Sep 27, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The Coming IT Workforce Shortfall

Due to approaching baby boomer retirements, the information technology workforce in places like the United States and Europe is expected to shrink dramatically—in fact, IT jobs could outnumber qualified professionals as early as the end of the decade. This might not come as a shock to those who have been reading Bureau of Labor Statistics predictions and other industry forecasts. However, some observers believe this trend will affect countries all over the world, and that it’s already starting to play out in some very unexpected places.

“As workforce growth rates slow in the U.S., Europe, Japan and Australia, skill shortages are going to begin to mount,” said Brian Kramer, program director for IBM Learning Solutions. “These skill shortages are likely to be particularly acute in the IT industry, because developed, post-industrial nations do not graduate many IT engineers. It’s amazing how that has shifted.

For the complete story, click Here

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. moominboy
      moominboy
      good article trip! :p

less workers-more job choice-better pay?
    2. arvy
      arvy
      Will make all this hard study worthwhile !!. :D
    3. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      Stories like this one just really irk me. Companies have been sending all the entry level jobs overseas for several years and now it's "amazing" that nobody is studying to be an IT engineer and that they are predicting shortages of skilled people in a few years????

Give me a break. Don't insult my intelligence. Tell things like they really are. Any shortage is and/or will be caused by the industry's current hiring practices and policies. Don't lay of the problem on people not wanting into the industry. Put the problem where it really lies: on the industry cutting their own throats and forcing tens of thousands of people into unemployment by being unwilling to hire their own fellow citizens....

I hate spin with a passion....
    4. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      I've heard this sort of talk for years but Freddy is right. The statistics don't tell the whole tale.
    5. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      Bill Gates has been in the news in the last few months talking about how hard it is to find skilled people. Well, that dang jerk just sent more MS jobs overseas. Just how do these industry idiots like Billy Bob expect people to want to enter a job market which is shrinking due to industry hiring practices? Smart people aren't going to train for a job market in which all the entry level jobs are being sent to other countries because it will be next to impossible for them to find jobs....

So what does the industry do to combat the problem of not enough local skilled people? Send more jobs overseas and then castigate their own countrymen for not wanting to train for something in which they can't get hired because the jobs they need to get experience to become highly skilled have all been sent somewhere else!!!

It makes me so mad my blood boils. Don't ever let anyone tell you that greed is good. Greed even cuts its own throat in the end....
    6. Veteran's son
      Veteran's son
      Good Point! :)
    7. hkymre
      hkymre
      The article doesn't make it clear which skills are in short supply. I'd guess because of the baby boomers reference it's pointing more at the mainframe side of things though.

Another reason I say that is I'm 38 and one of the youngsters looking after the mainframes at my works. There's a large % of people that are 50-55 and looking to get out if they can.

The industry does seem to be waking up to the problem. IBM have launched an apprenticeship scheme as have several major UK mainframe shops - can't find the link though.

ffreeloader is right though - short term thinking has brought this situation about which ever section of the industry is short skilled.
    8. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      Good discussion - must have missed it earlier.

I guess it's live by MSWord, die by MSWord...let's hope this bodes well for all of us reading this.