The Cert Forums Fitness Challenge

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Gingerdave, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Wow ok there are a lot more dedicated people on here then me.

BM, it is a challenge for me considering where I am now, but I think it is an achieveable goal - that being the important measure. Once I get there I can look at doing them faster, declined, on figer tips etc.

Drum Dude

I know you cannot spot reduce fat (much as I and many other people would like too) it is to increase my core strength and in conjunction with the Kick/thai boxing and the Gracie Jiu Jitsu starting bringing my weight down and fitness up.

I can't remember who said about running but that is on my list for the next twelve months, I only live about 4.5 miles from work so Ideally I want to build up to either running in, or running home, or possible both, but that is a while off yet.

So is no one going to do this with me then?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Personally I don't tend to do a lot of excercise. Generally on the go a lot at work, and *touch wood* haven't changed weight for the past 5 years or so.

I do upper body excercises using 5kg/10kg dumbbells about three times a week for about 30 mins, that's about it.

Used to run quite a bit when younger, but was more a sprinter than a marathon runner :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Ooh another thread for fitness people. Great but other than chiming in with my current routine and diet I cant see myself wanting to do that challenge. It looks good and challeging from beginners perspective. I'd like to see a log of progress and maybe even some before and after pics.

Anyone planning on going it other than the OP

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Interesting thread.

My personal workouts are as follows:

3 mile walk with the dog before work in the morning.
    3 mile walk with the dog after work in the afternoon.
    5-a-side once a week
    3 mile run twice a week
    weights at gym - 30 mins twice a week.

occasionally have been known to spend an hour at the gym on the cross trainer.

When ever i go to the gym I wind up my work out with a quick swim then steam.

I was speaking to an ex-army friend of mine who said that the best way to burn off fat and get fit is to 'shock' your body every now and then, i.e. do a completely different work out that works different muscles to your normal workouts, i.e. play squash, go cycling.

8)

5. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

I once read a book by Tom Venuto called 'Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle'

It's brilliant, but here's how I lost 3 stone, mainly all fat, but some being LBM (Lean Body Mass)

Diet plays such an important part, here's the secrets :p

Each person needs a certain amount of calories, everyone is unique.

The rough estimate of how many calories I needed a day was, 2300, with that figure you then make a 25% deficit, which gave me 1725 calories for each day, then you would run once a day, burning amywhere from 500 - 1000 calories, so everyday you had a 1000 calorie deficit.

There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat, there being 7 days in a week.. 7 x 1000 = 7000, which was 2lbs of fat gone a week.

Now here's the bit where everyone called me mental for going to these extremes.

You then have something called micronutrients, you work on these basis.

55% Carbs
    30% Protein
    15% Fat

Each meal must be split up into these ratios, the carbs are for energy through the day, the protein is to stop you burning muscle mass (because muscle burns more calories than fat, hence, 'Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle' you always want to keep muscle mass, only burn fat!) then the fat, I forget, but you need fat.

You then have 6 meals a day (yes, I know, but theres good reason)

Imagine your body as a furnace when it comes to burning calories, you need to keep a steady fire going to keep burning these calories throughout the day so you dont store them as fat.

A meal plan would be this:

Meal 1: 7:00am
    Meal 2: 9:30am
    Meal 3: 12:30pm
    Meal 4: 3:30pm
    Meal 5: 6:30pm
    Meal 6: 9:30pm

This is because, when your body doesnt have any readily avaliable calories to burn (food), it looks to other sources of energy, the first place it looks to is muscle (which is not good) so by eating every 3 - 4 hours you stop the 'starvation response' your body has which is to store calories as fat, it thinks..

"Looks like were not getting any calories for a while, so we better start storing this." :p

Same with when you eat to much, the body is meant to survive, not get your body to a stupid level of body fat such as 2% so your abs can be seen :blink

Anyone can do this diet and exercise regime, I lost 3 stone in 2 - 3 months.

I will tell you something though, the meals, are not brilliant and I did that whole diet thing ^ for 3 months.

I could never eat those meals again, but now im at 11 stone something and keep the weight from ever going back on by running up to 3 - 5 times a week, not eating massive meals and thinking positively.

(And yes, I do go out for a couple of pints on a Friday and other days)

Got to do that :biggrin

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  6. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Good offering.

This has pretty much been how I've eaten for the last 3 years though I only cut calories when officially dieting. People do look at you funny when you're on your 4th small meal of the day though or you whip out a protein shake

I have a friend who thought I was mental for this food lifestyle but she tried it and has lost over two stone. Changed her attitude to food forever.

I dont really eat junk other than pizzas and I quite look forward to my little tubs of chicken and broccoli or sweet potatoe and turkey and so forth

At the moment though I'm going on a three week Keto diet. Think atkins without the lard. Need to shed some before a couple of races

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Eat less + Exercise more = Lose weight

Don't complicate things.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Sorry Zeb, but that is too complicated... :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dude... I'm *not* gonna wake up to eat Meal 1. What sane person is up by 7am?!? :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

I'm up at 6.30-6.45 every day...

...er, nuff said :p

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  11. BosonMichael

Ahem...

What SANE person is up by 7am? :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Could you get a dog and take it for walks with the family.

You would also burn calories running after it in order to stop it from attacking your cats...

13. BosonMichael

I had a dog... one that had the sense to not wake up before 7am. ;)

14. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

All these excuses :p ...

15. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Well ive lost a few stone in 3 months or so and thats from cycling to work everyday, and doing the odd bikeride on days off. Ive clocked up over 1100 miles in that time so its going well.
    Its not rocket science though, if your wanting to lose weight then just make sure that your taking in less calories per day than your body uses, so either diet or exercise or both.
    It also helps to have a few rest days per week where you eat what you want (within reason) this helps with cravings and also prevents the metabolism from slowing down as it takes approx 4 days for your body to start adapting. Lots of small meals through the day helps, i currently have 6 or 7 per day. :)
    Im aiming to loose another half a stone or so and then il start incorporating a weight routine into my training again, this will consist of compound movements only.

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  16. BosonMichael

Why woiuld I make an excuse for something no sane person would want to do? :biggrin

17. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

I'm always up at 7am :biggrin cept Saturdays and Sundays, gawd :P

Alls I know is, I feel great and I'm glad I spent those three months doing that stuff, no regrets :biggrin!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I get up at 8:55 in the AM on weekdays. No earlier.

On weekends you're lucky if I surface before midday. I'm a night person - always have been. Getting up at early o'clock makes me feel ill.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Guess I'm not sane. I get up at about 4 a.m. or so to make it to the gym at 5 when the open. That's the only time during the week I can get in the aerobics. I do the weights in the afternoon after work. The only way I can manage the time, plus it helps to separate aerobic work from weight work.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  20. BosonMichael

Still looking for that first sane person up at 7am! :p